Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilted Wallet a big hit...but? >

Quilted Wallet a big hit...but?

Quilted Wallet a big hit...but?

Old 08-11-2012, 09:15 PM

$15 is a fair price to me. i recently saw a small quilted wallet selling for 9. after looking at it i realized i had the same pattern at home so i dug it out and made one. While it was not difficult or time consuming, if I was going to make them to sell i would want more than the $9 they were being sold for.

Ask yourself if you really want to turn your fun into a job. If you are considering doing this, I would do as someone suggested and make some up and then offer them for sale. Custom orders can be a real pain.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Sewhappytoquilt View Post
OMG - this is why we love this Board so much. I was pretty much "talking out-loud" to myself, about what to charge for my wallets, and I have received so much good input. I thank you all. YES, our talents are unique and we should NOT underestimate the value of our abilities. I am guilty, guilty, guilty. Thank you all for your opinions. I'm thinking $15 sounds like a pretty good investment for all parties involved
Before you set your price, here's something else to consider. I have a couple of friends who have a large network of people so I will make them an item that I'm "testing the market waters" and give it to them for free but ask them to show others as well as give me feedback how well it works and if there's anything I should change. Told her if anyone wants one, they are $28. I also tell her how long it took to make so she can pass that along if someone balks at the price. She also adds that it's 1 of a kind which makes the value go up.

I designed a small cross-body bag and gave to my friend - I got at least a dozen orders just from her and everyone paid the $28 because it was so unique. $28 for a cute, unique bag??? What lady isn't going to pay that?

Over the past year I've probably made 30 or more. These little bags sold for $29.95 + shipping on my Etsy shop. I only sold this few because I got sick and haven't made any in the past 5 months.

Just don't sell yourself short or you'll be unhappy with your decision. If you want to discuss more offline, please feel free to PM me. I can give you more tips that have worked or didn't work for me. If others are interested in making these small accessory items let me know and I can continue to post my experience. Lord knows how many failed items I've had and what is working.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:54 AM

Think that $10 is a super bargain. You do beautiful work. My problem is that if someone likes something I made and asks for one like it I just make it and give it away. My DH says I should charge. I agree with another member, if you bought that wallet commercially you would easily be charged $25 or more.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by BettyGee View Post
Think that $10 is a super bargain. You do beautiful work. My problem is that if someone likes something I made and asks for one like it I just make it and give it away. My DH says I should charge. I agree with another member, if you bought that wallet commercially you would easily be charged $25 or more.
this is so true. We ladies like our accessories and wallets can be a fashion statement. And if we can say "this is a one-of-a-kind", other ladies will want one. Like I posted before, mine would sell for $30 but $25 would be a fair price for all the work involved.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:52 AM

Would you share your pattern or tell me where I could purchase one? LOVE your work and would not charge less than $12.50. Lois
Old 08-12-2012, 09:57 AM
Power Poster

Vera Bradley is all the rage now for teen girls in my area. $25 for a small wallet is about average for that brand at the retail stores. I've found them on sale for $12 at the outlet stores. If I sew to sell, I sew to SELL. Sewing to fill orders is either a business or just something to do with your time.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:50 AM

I would charge at least $15-20 for the wallet. For the friends (and by friends, I mean close friends, like the old saying, ...."the ones you count on the fingers of one hand" so to speak, I would probably find some way to make them one for a gift, but for casual friends (acquaintenances, friends-of-friends, groups you belong to, etc.), IMHO, I think you should charge for making these. Special fabrics, or embellishments should be an additional charge. What is fun quickly becomes a job when you have to make oodles of one thing when you are yearning to start that next exciting project that is just sitting there on your work table! (Smiles)
Old 08-12-2012, 12:02 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I'd say $22.50. That's a happy medium. They are way too nice for $15 or $20. I would pay $25 for one, but it sounds like you don't want to charge that much. $22.50 is a good clean price. Can I buy one for $22.50?
Old 08-12-2012, 03:13 PM

That is sew cute. I think it would be a shame to charge less than 10 bucks. Charge a bit more if you go on Etsy to sell them.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sewhappytoquilt View Post
OMG - this is why we love this Board so much. I was pretty much "talking out-loud" to myself, about what to charge for my wallets, and I have received so much good input. I thank you all. YES, our talents are unique and we should NOT underestimate the value of our abilities. I am guilty, guilty, guilty. Thank you all for your opinions. I'm thinking $15 sounds like a pretty good investment for all parties involved
Why not split the difference between $15 and $20 and bring it up to $18?