Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why you should ALWAYS put a piece of fabric in your machine when not in use! >

Why you should ALWAYS put a piece of fabric in your machine when not in use!

Why you should ALWAYS put a piece of fabric in your machine when not in use!

Old 08-13-2012, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ View Post
I put the presser foot down with a piece of fabric between, but I learned the hard ($$$) way NOT to put the needle down. The switch was accidentally depressed in transport, and when I plugged the machine in it went through it's little alignment shudder and knocked the machine out of time as well as breaking the needle inside the machine. A costly lesson learned.
don't feel bad.....when i got my machine back from a tune up a few weeks ago, the tech left the needle down in my bernina 1130 with stitch sample underneath, and NEVER turned off my machine. i took it back and the second time, the tech left my bobbin winder engaged.....if you haven't guess, i will NEVER go back to this bernina dealer again. as far as i am concerned, this is carelessness.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:01 PM

IMHO, ya'll still have not got to the root of the problem. When I worked at a sewing machine store, the repairman would laugh when customers came in after having their machine fixed or tuned up, with their sewing machine not working again. I soon learned why! He told me NOT to tell, but, being honest always won out! When the customer got the machine to the car, they would check it to see if it sewed. BUT, they did not lower the presser foot with cloth underneath and lower the needle back into the cloth. Next, they would hurriedly throw the machine into the car or trunk. This could possible knock the TIMING OFF! The needle bar, feeddogs and the presser foot MUST be timed in synch to sew correctly.