Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone notice that Joann's fabrics are better quality than LQS? >

Anyone notice that Joann's fabrics are better quality than LQS?

Anyone notice that Joann's fabrics are better quality than LQS?

Old 08-14-2012, 12:52 PM

No I have noticed the same thing as well, some of the stone hill collection is very nice and some of the cheaper lines are nice as well, all depends on what you are using it for and which quality you like but I have used some of the %5.99 a ayrd stuff with even better results then the current Moda.

Originally Posted by Halfsquare View Post
I have been noticing that Joann's fabrics are higher quality than they were a year ago and the brand names are going downhill.

Recently I was shopping at a LQS and some of the 12.50 per yard fabric was pretty think.

I went to Joann's and found better quality for about 7.99 a yarn and used by 50% off coupons.

There were, however, fabrics at Joann's now that are $12.99 per yard. I could not believe my eyes. The clerk said that they are really stuggling as they mark prices up.

I've also seen some cottons at LQS for $16.50 but it is imported.

I was very pleasantly surprised at Joann's quality. Never thought I would say that. They still have the really cheap stuff - but there is great quality now too.

Am I crazy or has anyone else noticed this???
Old 08-14-2012, 03:24 PM

ok new quilter here what is LQS sorry but i just have to ask lol
Old 08-14-2012, 03:59 PM

LQS = Local Quilt Shop.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:52 PM

Maybe it depends on which Joann's you're shopping at. Ours still has pretty low-quality fabrics. I never buy my quilt fabrics there. Warm and Natural batting - yes. When I can get it 50% off.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:40 PM

I am a hoarder of fabric but I will not pay extremely high prices for fabric. I give almost all my quilts away to charities and I can't afford sky high prices. I'm always looking and buying at sales or I couldn't begin to do what I do for others. I know that from my experiences all the fabric stores have great fabric and junk. Sales will get me to buy. I went to a quilt shop about 6 months ago and all their clearance fabric was $3.88 a yard. Needless to say I walked out with a ton of fabric. Just have to be careful and hit the sales. I have more fabric than I could ever use and will use it up before I pay the sky high prices.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:49 PM

c'mon up to Canada, the cheap stuff goes for about $14 and the good stuff is closer to $22 or $24 ... and the LQS wonders why people shop online!!
Old 08-14-2012, 09:55 PM

I haven't seen any fabrics at JoAnns that I would give a plug penny for! The only thing I go there for is tools, buttons and some embelishments but only with coupons. I've been called a "Fabric Snob" and I will continue to live up to that name!
Old 08-14-2012, 11:22 PM

Not at all
Old 08-15-2012, 04:58 AM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

The one thing I have noticed about JoAnn's is that their Batiks are way more expensive than what I can get at my 2 LQS in my town. And they are not as nice as LQS batiks. I do buy from JoAnn's occasionally as some of the fabric is good quality. One of the LQS stores in my town has a huge sale section that is 40% off so I go there often .
Old 08-15-2012, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by nygal View Post
Plus I bought a few yards of two other fabrics that coordinate well with some I got a month ago. I'm happy!!
That's a really good idea - I have been avoiding Joann's for fabrics that will be pieced but for a large piece with perhaps one seam, many of their fabrics would be fine.

I haven't looked at their fabrics in a long time. Think I'll go back and do so!