Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I cheated on my LQS >

I cheated on my LQS

I cheated on my LQS

Old 08-16-2012, 08:17 AM

I only order online when a LQS runs out of a fabric I need more of. I have never purchased a kit because I generally do not like some of the fabrics they choose and if there's a cutting error, many times they don't have the fabric in stock. I also can't see true colors online or feel the quality of the fabric so the few times I've ordered online, I've been disappointed. JoAnn Fabric's quilting cottons aren't the quality that I get the our LQS...you get what you pay for. I will continue to shop at our 5 LQS in our area and love everyone of them! When I do shop online for a fabric that I've run out of there is no or very little savings when shipping is added in. The online stores charge almost the same amount you pay for quality fabrics at the LQS. Now if you're satisfied with poor quality fabric then shop online please because I don't my LQS to start carrying and catering to those who are purchasing cheaper lines of fabric or to compete with JoAnns.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:21 AM

Where is this quilt shop? I live in Oregon, perhaps I can shop for fabric in her shop. I am always looking for new quilt shops to shop in. What is the name of the shop? Thanks for sharing your story.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:49 AM

As in any business, the LQS has to evolve to be successful in this "no bricks and mortar" internet shopping world. What a great idea for online LQS - have the quilter/shopper (especially some of us who are color/print challenged and new quilters too), pick out a pattern, and colors/fabric line, and have the online LQS put together a kit.

So often, I have put together a quilt myself, only to realize that I didn't buy enough of one fabric to finish it.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:44 AM

I would give anything to have a quilt shop like that. I live in a decent sized city (60,000), but there's not one good quilt shop within driving distance. I would love to take classes and learn more. I do shop online, but I'm not buying very much fabric these days. I have more than enough stored up waiting for me to start those projects I've got on my bucket list. You are so fortunate to have her, and I agree with you. Treasure her to keep her in business.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:21 PM

I was always loyal to my LQS but last week I went in for a yard of some fabric I like and am buying every color a yard at a time and she had raised to price on it by $2 a yard and it wasn't just the new bolts but on all of them. I think this was a little unfair and I won't be buying any more of that fabric.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
I wish my local store was like that. They're not, so I don't feel any guilt about giving my business to others and buying over the internet. You're very lucky to have your LQS.
Same here. My LQS used to be a wonderful place & I gave it 95% of my business (which is saying something!). Then they changed hands & the new owner is so snotty & rude. I don't need that, thank you very much. So I don't ever even think of going in there. It makes me sad, too, because I do like to shop local. But I also like to be treated with at least a bit of civility.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:10 PM

We are so lucky here in Eastern Iowa. I live 45 minutes from any large town so driving an hour to get to a quilt shop isn't anything to me and I can think of 10 right off the top of my head that I can drive to in that amount of time. I get my fabric mostly from LQS and get other tools etc online.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:38 AM

hThe typical LQS in my experience right now has been trying to keep the head above water. They still offer the best customer service, doing squaring up and color and pattern consultations without charge. Come and sew days and times for a nominal fee to try to cover electrical and rent or no charge for same are still offered. Discounts and classes continue. What is great is that if we ask for particular fabrics the LQS will go to great effort to find the items for us.Add to that those who are able to afford having any sort of a web presence. Do you realize the time and money involved in hiring someone to keep up a website and monitor orders and shipping etc? Ever wonder how many people have tried the website route and ran into brick walls? My vote is buy LQS as often as I can and help out the cause by refering friends who ask if I know where they can locate product a, b, or c. My LQS is tgrying to keep a web presence with a Facebook presence. Guilt, no, I don't buy into any guilt trips. I buy my fabrics and patterns where I choose to. Just that I support my LQS and other LQS along my path as often as I can.
Originally Posted by UglyCook View Post
I like what you wrote, Jeanne. I think, too, that shop owners need to understand the power of internet shopping and sell their stuff online. Sure, they may need to invest some capital to do it and that's hard. BUT, what if your lqs had kits online that you could browse from home at 11 pm (when I shop!)? Or go online and order something you saw in the shop but didn't buy at the time?

I know that I prefer my lqs and I check out their website regularly, but they don't update their classes often and don't offer any products. I guess I want both - in store and online!
Old 08-18-2012, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by Kath12 View Post
I buy from my LQS occasionally but prefer to go to other shops that are about an hour away because I never know what the mood of the owner of my LQS is going to be. One time she is friendly and helpful and then the next time is like it is an annoyance to wait on me. I am not the only one that feels that way. I've heard others that won't shop there because of the way they were treated. So I'll shop online or at another QS most of the time.
Sounds like a quilt shop that I used to shop in. I would only go in if the "friendly" partner was working...not the "grumpy" partner. Needless to say, they closed shop a few years ago. We should not feel like we are imposing on any shop. They should be happy to see us.

Some people are not meant to be retailers. Period. We used to have a gift shop. the owner was "introverted" or shy. I am not either. But I prefer an extroverted atmosphere when shopping. Not a library. (I love libraries btw). Retailing is a people business. The personality of a shop owner or the help can build or destroy the business.
sandy
Old 08-18-2012, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by maecece View Post
I was always loyal to my LQS but last week I went in for a yard of some fabric I like and am buying every color a yard at a time and she had raised to price on it by $2 a yard and it wasn't just the new bolts but on all of them. I think this was a little unfair and I won't be buying any more of that fabric.
How a store prices inventory is determined by what method they use for their accounting/taxes. So, when wholesale prices go up, the retail prices are adjusted accordingly. They either use the retail price or wholesale price method when counting their inventory at years' end. once a retailer decides what method they will use, they have to stick with it. Can you imagine the nightmare of have the same fabric on your sales floor..at different retail prices based upon their "cost" at the time of purchase?

No, I am not an accountant but I learned this in my college accounting courses way back when.
sandy