How do you tell time?

Old 08-19-2012, 06:06 PM

I guess I'm getting old I still use a watch with or w/o numbers on it. Never would have even given it a thought someone wouldn't know what the time on there was. Oh well. Sue
Old 08-19-2012, 06:14 PM

Yeah, I don't know how to read a sundial and so it doesn't surprize me when kids have trouble with analog clocks.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:00 PM

I wouldn't know what "twenty OF one" is either ... is that twenty minutes AFTER one, or twenty minutes TO one?

If I had to guess, I would guess that twenty of one is 1:20.

So what do you say when your calling time after the hour??
Old 08-19-2012, 07:11 PM

This is about learning, but not clocks. The other night at work, I heard one of the young girls tell one of the residents about the Leaning Tower of London. Of course, I had to pipe up and say, "I did not know they moved it from Italy". The girl did not know where it was located.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:37 PM

Luckily, our schools are still teaching both analog and digital, at least in K-3. And I'm teaching them "big hand and little hand" although I think the school still teaches that also.. There should be no reason why we "old people" can't pass our knowledge down the the next generation, right??? LOL

I grow up saying "twenty till one" and "twenty after one".
Old 08-20-2012, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by kathy View Post
twenty of one and twelve fifty aren't the same time......are they?
Not quite...and we would say twenty to one or twelve forty in this neck of the woods.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:24 AM

I work in the health care field, so I use military time too. It's funny when speaking to someone who is not a co-worker, I have to verbally pause to mentally make the change to regular time. When speaking to dh, during that pause I realize that he uses military time too... so that makes the verbal pause even longer because I'm switching from and then back to military time!
Old 08-20-2012, 03:55 AM

We learned to tell time little hand is the hour-- big hand is the minutes. My GDs 9-7 an 6 read time in the same manner, now. I only have ''old fashion'' clocks at my house. But spelling test sure have changed. My Great Granddaughter goes to a big city school and text spelling is acceptable. While my 3 youngest GDs go to country schools and they spell out words and they know how to write in cursive. No calculators are allowed. My sister works at a bank and they are not allowed to accept a personal check that's not signed in cursive.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:13 AM

My mother couldn't drive a horse and buggy - but my grandmother could. I can't waltz or swing dance, but my mother could. She never did get a MAC machine or pumping her own gas. Is any of us stupid? No, of course not. Times are changing and we don't have to learn things we can do another way - like telling time. You wouldn't say 20 cents less than $2, would you? You'd say $1.80. Same thing.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:21 AM

One of my sons had a job where they kept time in Greenwich Mean Time. His watch also showed that time zone along with others. How few of us can tell time quickly in other time zones? I read this weekend where France had eleven time zones in its country while the US has seven time zones. How many can even name all seven of our time zones?