Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
When did and who taught you to sew? >

When did and who taught you to sew?

When did and who taught you to sew?

Old 07-09-2011, 02:19 AM

While my mother refused to teach me to cook, (nor did she allow me in the kitchen while she cooked...my poor husband...our first few years were more homemade disaster than homemade dinners!!!!) she was a very patient teacher of sewing...and sat me at the machine when I was 8. My first project was pin cushion. Then simple shorts and skirts. Eventually, she showed me how to make blouses (complete with buttonholes) and dresses with zippers. I have a very clear memory of cutting out a pair of plaid pants one evening, only to discover that you have to match the plaids BEFORE you cut!!!!

Oh my..such good memories of the woman who was my mother...sadly that happy, patient person disappeared years ago in a sea of bitterness.....I miss the "old" mom....
Old 07-09-2011, 10:31 AM

My grandmother taught me how to sew on her old black Singer. She was the baby sitter for all her grandchildren since we all lived very close and our parents all had to work. My mother ran a cleaners with my two aunts and worked long hours while raising five children. She didn't have time to teach me.
I remember being the only one who didn't want to go and play because I'd rather sit under the apple tree with grandma and learn how to crochet, knit and embroider. She never used a pattern - couldn't read one, so she would just look at one and just make it. I could never figure out how she knitted sweaters for everyone with the most beautiful cabeling on them. She would just knit and then put it up against your body to make sure it was the right size and length. Always came out perfect! I think this is where my creativity came from. I would rather make up a pattern, feel my way through it, and make it happen. Never did like to follow a pattern much.
Grandma used to make the most beautiful cut work pieces-doilies, pillowcases, sheet tops and all the churches altar cloths. I still have many of her handkerchiefs with crochet edges and tons of cut work items.
Grandma has been gone for 40 years now. She was the first person in my life who died. It was very painful for me to lose her. I spent many hours with her and learned so much. She was a magnificent person.I think of her daily and reminisce over all the things we did together.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:42 AM

8th grade home ec class, toledo ohio, longfellow school. My grandmother taught me to knit and crochet,but not to sew
Old 08-02-2011, 05:48 PM

I learned in the Home Ec classes we had to take so glad we had to take them taught me a lot. Sue
Old 08-02-2011, 05:52 PM

I started in home economics in jr high that was my first place to learn to sew with a machine, I knew how to hand sew cuffs, etc from my mom. My grandmother and my mom both tried to teach me to knit and crochet but the moment I lost my concentration I'd forget where I was. Mom is trying to talk me back into it now she said its becoming a dying art, kind of like ceramics I guess. She said most young girls now are far more interested in electronics and not home making, or crafts. I never really thought about that until she mentioned it, and now that my grandma is no longer with us I think I may take some classes and see if I'm better at it this time around.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:41 AM

My Mother taught me to sew, and to be honest it was so long ago I cannot remember at what age. I don't know if she ever really formally sat me down and taught me, she was always sewing as a child and as soon as I could reach the sewing machine pedal I wanted to sew and she was very good about it, she would let me use just about any fabric she had as long as she didn't have it pegged for something and let me go to town. So pretty much just from watching her, and sometimes if I'd want to know how to do something specific she would show me. She gave me my first sewing machine but I was too young and dumb to take care of it and I ended up neglecting and eventually giving it away. There was a lull in the sewing department during a time when I married, bought a house, and had a child. Except for a few things I'd go sew at my Mothers house I did a lot more knitting, crocheting and painting for a while. The year before I had my second daughter my Husband and Mother in Law purchased a used Europro sewing machine for $70 for me for my birthday, and that's when I discovered quilting. That was about 6 and a half years ago and I haven't stopped since! Lol*
Old 08-03-2011, 03:50 AM

uh, I think it was my mom, she made quite a few quilts. She also showed me how to embroider on a sampler(which is almost finished and I should probably finish it) she also showed me how to crochet. my grandma on my mom's side showed me how to knit, and my other grandma got these calendars made of I'm not sure what but they had patterns on them with little dots to sew sequins on and she was always working on those. They turned out very pretty but she always needed me to thread her needle, 3 strands of embroidery floss through a TINY needle. Suffice to say, I can thread a needle probably in the dark. But I would sew with her a lot. Oh, and I must have been about 6 or 7 when I started.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:30 PM

My grandma started me on her treadle sewing machine, with patience learning to quilt. Then my mother for a short bit of time for clothing. My finishing school was done by a terrific Home Ec teacher named Gladys Torrey. That woman could sew or cook anything in the world. She loved sharing her knowledge, and never criticized us no matter what we did. I still use Mrs. Torrey's recipes today, and I'm in my mid-sixties. Truly wonderful woman.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:54 AM

I first learned from my grandma on her treadle. We made a little drawstring pouch, and I have to say that she sort of took over. She was a lovely lady, but she wasn't always patient! Then she taught me how to embroider by hand, which I still do. She also attempted to teach me how to crochet. All I did was make knots! Ha!

I learned to sew on buttons by myself. I used to get buttons out of my mom's button jar. I would practice seeing them on by sewing them onto a piece of Kleenex. Once I finished, I would pull them off, and try again.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:06 AM

Although my mom had a singer in a hide-a-way desk, I was taught originally in home ec class in 7th or 8th grade. A few years later (after seeing how cheaply made current costumes were), I decided that if my mom could make halloween costumes (for 3 children and while working full time), as a stay at home mom, I could surely make two! Mom assisted when asked. Initially in person, then over the years, just over the phone. Eventually I got the hang of it.

MIL was generous enough to buy me a sewing machine. I had kept borrowing hers!