Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! Not enough backing fabric! >

Help! Not enough backing fabric!

Help! Not enough backing fabric!

Old 08-21-2012, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by AshleyR View Post
I normally don't purchase fabric.. the only fabric I buy is backing and I usually buy the very wide fabric, and when I don't, my fabric store figures out how much i need and that's what I buy and they are always spot on!
However, I was at a Discount Foam and Fabric store and found some $1 fabric that I thought "would do" for this big quilt. They didn't know how to figure out how much I needed and neither did I, so I bought what I thought was enough. Obviously, it's not! If I cut it into 3 pieces, and sew them together, it's too short, but there is excess on the sides.

I'm not in love with the quilt top or the backing fabric, so I kinda want to use it for this quilt. It's a purple/pink with little flowers on it and the top is pink and white, so they don't even really match. I don't think I can do the diagonal pieced back method, since this quilt top is so wide.

Other than taking a row off the quilt top (I'm willing, but I'd like to see if there's anything else I can do), is there any easy way to make it work without looking too bad?
Have you got any orphan blocks that you can use? Bonnie Hunter pieces her backs from all sorts of things. Go to Quiltville.com and look at what she does.
Good luck
Old 08-21-2012, 04:17 AM

I have used John Flynn's diagonal-pieced back and it works really well once you do the math. Check his site for details.

http://www.flynnquilt.com/workshop/FreeLessons/
Old 08-21-2012, 04:28 AM

Sometimes when I am using a special fabric on the back, like a flannel with print
that goes with the theme of the front, but it is not wide enough and dont want to pay for another 2 and a half yards, I choose another fabric that blends with that piece, usually a solid, and get just enough to cut it width length, piece it, and sew the strip in between the two pieces of my special backing fabric. It looks planned with a strip down the middle and saves a lot in purchasing fabric.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:26 AM

Sorry for your difficulties but I am delighted and thankful to all of you who responded. Your suggestions will help me with future projects. Thanks and best wishes to you.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:15 PM

Thank you so much for all the info and drawings. I'm sure I'll have this problem, too, when I really get into quilting more.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:11 PM

If it ain't big enough, use sumpin from your stash!
Old 08-21-2012, 05:48 PM

Can you just turn the back fabric? you said if you cut it in 3 pieces it is to short but to wide, right? So can you turn the fabric back and it work?
Old 08-21-2012, 07:49 PM

I had this problem once. I went back to the store and bought more of what i thought was the same fabric. It turned out to be a slightly different color. Different "dye lot" I suppose. I was extremely upset but ended up using two strips of the new fabric on the sides of the backing. Very painful at the time but now it's one of my favorite backings. It's interesting to throw in a little variation in the back. I may do it again on purpose!
Old 08-22-2012, 08:13 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AshleyR View Post
I normally don't purchase fabric.. the only fabric I buy is backing. . . . .
This just struck me funny - if you don't normally purchase fabric . . . . how do you acquire it?
Old 08-22-2012, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
This just struck me funny - if you don't normally purchase fabric . . . . how do you acquire it?

It fell.

Off a truck.