Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins

Old 08-21-2012, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by QuilterMomma View Post
Most of us have heard of humility or humble blocks. The story goes that Amish women introduce an error into their quilts because “only God can/should make something perfect”. It keeps one humble. To my surprise, when researching it for this blog post, I read on several websites that this is a myth. When asked about it, one Amish woman said that she makes enough mistakes without introducing them. Another said that just assuming that you need to purposely make an error or else your quilt would be perfect is a type of arrogance in itself.
All the same, I enjoy this myth. When I make a more-visible-than-usual error, I chalk it up to my humility block. And move on.
QuilterMomma, I'm going to enjoy whatever you make, rest assured!
Old 08-21-2012, 09:00 PM

Thanks everyone. So happy you like your quilt 978gray. Everyone has done such awesome little quilts.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:11 PM

Well, I have been away from the board too long. What wonderful DQs have come in. A few comments.

Lynnie25, lover your “perfect” DQ. You are so talented.

Dragonfly Nana, love your solid colors you used in your DQ. Love the “Angel” DQ too that you sent to Buslady. It reminds me of the modern wedding ring quilt I made my son and his wife.

Nancy, love your squares and the perfect quilting from corner to corner.

Needlegrammy, you never cease to amaze me with your creations.

Lisa, those half square triangles are tiny. Wow. did you paper piece?

QuiltyMom and Pennyquilter 88, really like the pastel stripes and the Halloween themed DQs.

Almond, those blues and purples are gorgeous in your DQ. Also like the piping in the border.

GinnyMac, the pastel blocks you made actually look 3-D, like they are folded over each other. Very nice quilting too.

Brandy, WOW, your points are sure sharp on your DQ. They all match up perfectly. Love your colors; that little bit of hot pink is striking!
Old 08-21-2012, 11:03 PM

I say they are all horrible and you should not be stuck with yours this month. In an offer of extreme good will I am willing to suffer, I mean to take them off your hands and will make sure they go to a good cause. ALL OF THEM.. lets see I need about forty more to finish those two walls.. and that will be another how many for the window wall.. anyone here good at math.. ah heck just send them to me. I can handle it. I am positive it would work. The creative minds here, hard at work.. hey is there a Sept sign up or is it just a continuing swap from this one here? the newbies to the swap want to know.. only two so far (until you send me your blocks then well hundreds!)..
Old 08-22-2012, 05:28 AM
Swap Hosts

Sign up is open for September! http://www.quiltingboard.com/member-...t-t198337.html
Old 08-22-2012, 05:31 AM
Swap Hosts

And on another note, sorry I've been AWOL. I am having a mysterious problem with my eyes .. everything on the computer screen is getting blurry and I can't figure out what's going on. (Yes, I've cleaned my glasses!) So off to the eye doctor for what I hope will be an easy explanation.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:54 AM

Krystyna - eye troubles are scary. I hope and pray it is something simple like eye fatigue. Mine get blurry when i focus on close things for too long. Maybe sewing all those veils has given you pooped peepers. They say you should take breaks every so often and look at things that are far away. I hope the doctor gets you fixed up fast!

Brandy you made an amazing little Amish style quilt! i just love the colors and pattern and you did excellent work!

There are some truly astonishing quilts this month!

Our vacation was pretty good. The ferry rides to and from Vancouver Island were awesome. It was a rare treat for our family to all be together in one place. Bad timing, but because of the Ménière's Disease and having a nasty cold virus, I was as sick as a dog most of thetime we were gone. But I had a view of the ocean from my bed and could see seals and bald eagles and sea otters sometimes, so that was pretty cool.

Why do people say "sick as a dog"? Immediately my mind conjures up a vision of someone darting furtively around looking for a rug to barf up on. (Yes, i am still on meds )
Old 08-22-2012, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
And on another note, sorry I've been AWOL. I am having a mysterious problem with my eyes .. everything on the computer screen is getting blurry and I can't figure out what's going on. (Yes, I've cleaned my glasses!) So off to the eye doctor for what I hope will be an easy explanation.
K, can't mess with those eyes, good you're going to the Dr.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:01 AM
Swap Hosts

I have to say that I am more than a little nervous about the eyes. I have a tremendous amount of computer work to do right now and it is NOT easy. My oldest sister developed macular degeneration some years ago and another sister has a hole in her retina -- possibly from a horrible accident in the Amazon, but possibly not. Oh, and my aunt is having cataract surgery done. My sisters will probably lose their sight eventually and I am terrified that I'm traveling down the same road. Will see what the eye doctor says. I guess I should actually make an appointment to see her.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:26 AM

Default Rec'd August DQ from Judith

I finally got my mail after being gone for several days and look what was in there. An adorable little Amish quilt from Judith1005. The colors are so pretty and bright and accented by the black. The decorative stitch for quilting makes everything pop. Thanks Judith for such a precious little quilt.
She also sent me 2 fat quarters for fall and a note on a quilted note card.

Thanks Judith, you have been a great partner.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]357249[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P8220093.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	357249