Bra strap pads

Old 08-25-2012, 07:34 AM

Default Bra Strap help

Originally Posted by MAK'58 View Post
I've read the thread on "incontinence"pads and panties. Don't recall if there is one on the bra strap shoulder pads or not, but I looked through the threads I could find and came up empty. My straps dig a large indentation on top of my shoulders and hurt at times. Any suggestions? Thanks Anne
I found some pads that I bought at Hancock Fabrics that are about 2 inches by I think probably 3 1/2 to 4 inches that are meant to help hold the straps in place but I have found that they also relieve much of the pressure on my shouldars. I wear an F size bra so there is much pressure and this has relieved so much of it for me in my neck and shouldars. I am sure other stores might have the same kind of thing and they weren't all that expensive.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:42 AM

Just a thought . . . but can you find a "cross over" style, in your size, in which the straps cross each other ("X"), in the back? Back when I was much(!) younger, I carried my baby in a front-type sling. The straps went over the shoulders and crossed in back (then came forward and tied at waist). That distributed the weight of the baby, over the back instead of just the shoulders. Am wondering if the same principle could be applied to a bra . . . .

Also, if you can just widen the strap, the weight would be distributed more evenly across your shoulders . . . . You'd need something padded and preferably slightly rigid. What about that material, suggested for use inside laptop cases?

I know you don't want anything too bulky . . . but rather than suffer, I'd even be tempted to stick a pair of backpack straps, underneath my bra straps.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:46 AM

Joann's has a line called "Curvana" and the shoulder comfort pads are amazing. They are silicone and they keep straps in place all day. I use them everyday and have given them to several of my friends.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:43 AM

The bra is the first thing that goes when I get home. I wear them only when I have to.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by sunny42539 View Post
The bra is the first thing that goes when I get home. I wear them only when I have to.

Me too! I don't especially like sports bras but they are a bit more comfortable than under wires digging into me, or straps slipping, etc. With them I learned to buy a size much larger than my regular size. The clerk told me she had to help one woman who could not get out of hers when she tried it on; she was really stuck! Anyway I make slim "potholders" to put under the straps. Hope you find some help here and let us other "endowed" women know please.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:42 PM

The best thing you can do for yourself is go to a specialty bra store - the ones that specialize in bras after a mastectomy - and have a bra fitting, you can get a bra that has most of the weight carried by the band around your ribs, and only like 10% on the straps. That's what I did when I wore a 34G. Best thing I did for me was a reduction down to a C...love it!!! Hated the craters on my shoulders from years of wearing bras that were the wrong size and had all the weight hanging on my shoulders!
Old 08-25-2012, 01:26 PM
Power Poster

I second the motion for going to a specialty bra store - but if you go, don't let the salesperson try to talk you into one that doesn't feel right -

A good fitting bra makes a huge difference in comfort!
Old 08-25-2012, 02:45 PM

Maybe shoulder pads like they have in some clothes/jackets? I don't know, thank God don't have that problem. But I had a step-grma years back that was like that- very large breasts, and her shoulders had about 1 inch deep indentions, looked like it must be painful! She couldn't even sleep without her bra. That would kill me! Good luck finding something that works for you!
Old 08-25-2012, 07:37 PM

I always felt left out because I am under endowed. Sounds like it might be a blessing after all.