Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers >

Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers

Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers

Old 08-26-2012, 07:50 PM

I too have thought about this and I am thinking of making one for my Family to put on my casket. I love flowers but I love my quilts more!
Old 08-26-2012, 08:03 PM
Power Poster

Cool idea and a very interesting thread. Personally I would like to be composted, but as this is unlikely and most probably illegal...the next best thing is donate my body to medical science. If my husband outlives me, he is just as likely to waste buckets of money and trash the environment with a "traditional" burial, complete with all the stonework etc. We have discussed this topic...but he just can't get his head around my idea.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by betty jo View Post
I work at (2) local funeral homes and since working there I see the waste in funeral flowers, especially the casket flowers which cost several hundred dollars..soooo....I decided I would quilt me a quilt to go on my casket and my family can take it home with them. Has anyone else thought about doing this??? I know we don't like to think about death, but it is coming to all of us.

Certainly! Actually, I want the brown and multi crocheted GFG afghan on my casket. It's what I nap under on the couch.! I made it eons ago from leftover yarn.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by cmg625 View Post
I made my mom a memory quilt for her birthday this past April. She is now in hospice care and the quilt is hanging in her room. Would it be wrong to put it on her casket for her funeral but not bury it with her? I would like to keep the quilt. Or should I just have it displayed at her funeral?
Display it by laying it across the foot of the casket. NO reason in this world to bury it with her,
Old 08-28-2012, 04:40 AM

Interesting discussion.
Y'all have given me "food for thought"! (as usual)
Love this board... it's way more than just quilting!!
Old 08-28-2012, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by cmg625 View Post
I made my mom a memory quilt for her birthday this past April. She is now in hospice care and the quilt is hanging in her room. Would it be wrong to put it on her casket for her funeral but not bury it with her? I would like to keep the quilt. Or should I just have it displayed at her funeral?
No reason you can't display it AND take it home. If anyone in my family wants the quilt that I'm hoping to do for my casket cover I say YES. I have always wanted my quilts to be used.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:01 AM

I have a friend that her mother taught her girls the gift of quilting and they quilted together for many years. The mother is now in failing health and the daughters are making a small quilt that will be place inside the casket on the lid--the part that is left open for a viewing. They have cleared this with the funeral director and were given the measurements that this piece should be. So when the casket is shut the small quilt will cover her as she is laid to rest. I think it is a wonderful idea.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:34 AM

My mother passed away in July this year. We used an unfinished Grandmother's Flower Garden that she had been working on for years on her casket, with just a small spray of 1 white rose and 3 red roses (for my sister, brother and I). Then we went a little further...we took her quilt racks and put some of her quilts on them at her head and her feet. And we did cork boards with pictures using unfinshed blocks to cover up the boards. Everyone from both of our quilt groups loved the way my sister and I decided to do things. And Mama would have been proud of us!!!!
Old 08-28-2012, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by penguinlvrrvd View Post
My mother passed away in July this year. We used an unfinished Grandmother's Flower Garden that she had been working on for years on her casket, with just a small spray of 1 white rose and 3 red roses (for my sister, brother and I). Then we went a little further...we took her quilt racks and put some of her quilts on them at her head and her feet. And we did cork boards with pictures using unfinshed blocks to cover up the boards. Everyone from both of our quilt groups loved the way my sister and I decided to do things. And Mama would have been proud of us!!!!
Sorry for your lost. What a beautiful thing to do and yes I am sure your mama was proud of all of you. We quilters love to gift our quilts and love to show and tell so this was a perfect thing to do! Love the idea.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:47 AM

I am reading all the threads and I have tears in my eyes and a smile on my face at the same time reading so many wonderful stories and different views and thoughts about a casket quilt. I can't think of anything more perfect!!! I recently thought of doing the same for my mother who was very ill in the hospital this summer. Although she is home again and doing much better (Thank God) t is something I still would like to do for her and now after reading this will probably do for my father and think about for myself and my family. It is such a nice thought and so much more personable and meaningful. I too believe flowers and funerals are so over priced and the flowers do not last long. Plus my theory is I'd much rather give and receive flowers when I am alive and can enjoy them, not after the fact. I gave my mother the second quilt I ever made 7 years ago and she loved it. This is the quilt I was thinking about for when that day comes. I wanted it to cover her in her casket and have her buried with it so that she always has my arms wrapped around her. Hate to think about that day but it is the inevitable (