Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Note to self:  DON'T do this again! >

Note to self: DON'T do this again!

Note to self: DON'T do this again!

Old 08-29-2012, 07:04 PM

You did a great job on that quilt. Not your fault about the bleeding, but I know how you had to feel.

My question to any of you that will answer is, I just finished a full size quilt, and because I bought it as pre-cut tumblers in beautiful bold Asian fabrics, I couldn't wash the tumblers. I spent a lot of money on fabrics and almost a year completing the quilt. I plan to give it to my son and daughter in law as a 1st anniversary quilt. Should I go ahead and wash it with color catchers myself, or just instruct them that if they ever have to wash to to do the same?
Old 08-30-2012, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by jkwynn View Post
Awesome end to the story.
By the way, I grew up in Decatur. I have family there in Hartselle: the Reeders, Martins/Breedings, and a while back my cousin Scotty was the mayor.
Small world.
Wow JKWynn, I remember Scotty being mayor, but I was living out of state at the time. I probably know some of your family too, but I went to school at Falkville the whole 12 years. It's such a small school, there were 52 of us in my graduating class in 1975. The whole school is grades 1 - 12, and at the time, there may have been 1200 kids altogether......maybe. Now they've added a pre-school and a kindergarten.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:21 AM

So sorry about this quilt.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:54 AM

I had something like this happen myself. I had very little red but just by sitting wet in the washer, it stained a piece of fabric. Never got it all out, but lightened it some. I used the color catcher, but it happened after washing. It reminds me of a purple I bought at the Eleanor Burns tent sale, I must have washed that deep purple 15 times before it stopped bleeding. I do wonder why some fabrics bleed and others do not. Fabric Companies need to listen to us !!!

Hope all turns out well for you.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:11 AM

I am with you on that one. The way that quilt looks, you certainly would have thought it had been washed at least once. Too bad that you had to find out the hard way. Other than all of the extra work, look at it as a challenge. I know --easy for me to say.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:30 AM

Looks like you had your work cut out for ya when you got it. Well atleast you were taking the time to do it right. Make it right. I think you've done a beautiful job despite the bleed.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:54 AM

I always recommend using 'color catchers' when washing any quilt, new or not, to prevent colors from fading in cottons, especially like in this case where one color was much brighter then the others, saves lots of headaches...good luck with your delima!
Old 08-30-2012, 09:02 AM

I'm surprised that those big piecing stitches would hold anything together. I hope she doesn't blame you when it starts to come apart.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:44 PM

I think you should be commended for the beautiful job you did on the quilt. If it was mine I would be so happy that you "saved" it I wouldn't have a bad thing to say about the stains.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:41 AM

Wow that was quite the ordeal you went through! I enjoy making old thing new again. Congratulations on a job well done. Thanks for posting your ordeal because I also have an old quilt to repair. I'm glad the lady wasn't upset. Like my customer some people are just so thrilled that we will repair them. Do these color catchers really work that well?