Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Children's irons - 55+ years ago - does anyone remember..... >

Children's irons - 55+ years ago - does anyone remember.....

Children's irons - 55+ years ago - does anyone remember.....

Old 08-30-2012, 06:54 AM

I remember the Christmas I received an iron and ironing board from Santa. I was 6 and my dad was home recuperating from a heart attack. That Christmas we received gifts from the guys who worked with him as well as the neighbors. What a blessing they all were to our family.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:07 AM

I had the iron and ironing board back in the 50’s. The iron would heat up and I did the hankies.

My toy sewing machine had a hand crank and I stitched nice little sack dresses (remember those?) for my doll Sally. The peg thing with the 4 nails in the top was for knitting. It was fun, but I don’t remember actually making anything.

I wonder if Martha Stewart started out this way.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

I didn't have one but, I remember them.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:16 AM

Yes, I did too. Late 40's early 50's. And I also ironed hankies, plus doll clothes. My mom always said you needed your iron to sew as much as you needed a sewing machine, and maybe more, because you could sew by hand if you had to. When my girls were young, I used to iron their clothes, and mine, and hubby's because everything was cotton and wrinkled. I always planned on ironing once a month during "my time of the month" because it was better to sit than to run around doing other stuff. Now I still like pressing when I sew. There is something satisfying to see wrinkles disappear! For years I always ironed pillowcases, too, and sometimes the top sheets.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:22 AM

My dad had his mother's iron, it was the kind you had to heat on the stove so that was the one I got to use when I played. My mother guarded her home tools much like I guard my scissors. She didn't like help in the kitchen and when she started ironing she just wanted to get through it as quickly as possible. So I had to learn by watching. She was very patient teaching me to sew and embroider but the rest, not so much. Maybe because there were three of us. I don't remember my older sisters being interested in either sewing or cooking. We also had an incident where the iron was left turned off but plugged in and it melted. The face plate melted down it was incredible the ironing board didn't catch fire because it was a wooden one. We kept the iron for years it was so bizarre and a reminder to ALWAYS unplug the iron.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by BETTY62 View Post
I remember havig the ironing board but can't remember having the iron. I also remember having a small broom and dust pan and a mop with a mop with a mop bucket. Do they still make toys like these for kids today?
Wooden handled (children's) brooms were made, back in the late 80's. My MIL gave my daughter (age 3-1/2) one . . . and gave my 1 year old son a battery operated dog! I promptly threw away the stick and both children played with the dog. I shook my head and kept my mouth shut a lot, back then. . . .
Old 08-31-2012, 04:12 AM

I still have the tiny green iron. It even still works after all these years. Just like me.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:30 AM

Oh the memories us people have-I had to use my mothers big iron, and ironing board at the age of 8 years and did the ironing of my now husbands mothers ironing my mother took in-I learned early but got some of the money for spending on myself-snacks and stuff we didn't buy for the house-and yes I also bought a tea set with roses on it for $5.00 at the local dime store-no extras were given to me or my 2 brothers, we saved our money for things we wanted-Thanks for the Beautiful Memories-still with a tear in my eye.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:36 AM

yes I had a silver and red iron like that. I would iron hankies with my Grandmother on ironing day. Yes we had a day we ironed, usually Tuesdays after Monday wash day. Oh, it was fun. Kids today would not do most of the thing we did, but we did not have TV all day, or vido games etc. We played house with our friends and or school. Bring me back to the 50-60's
Old 08-31-2012, 05:08 AM

I had one of those irons! My Dad made me an ironing board out of wood. I did burn something with the iron. Blamed it on my brother...HA! Mom wasn't having any of that and I have no idea what happened to those items. Hadn't thought of that in years!