Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help me please with the basics >

Help me please with the basics

Help me please with the basics

Old 09-05-2012, 08:58 AM

i learned my quilting from shows and books, though i was a garment sewer prior to quilting by machine. i would second using the edge of your presser foot for your seam allowance guide. Test them for size by stitching 2 lines with an unthreaded needle on a piece paper, a presser edge apart, and measuring the distance between them. There are many excellent beginner books out there. You can also use the classes at Craftsy and Quiltville to good benefit.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:11 AM

Look at the thread called Winners from the Iron County Utah. Look down to the quilt with the 4 long "runners". They are beautiful and would be easy to make w/o a pattern (a lot of us don't use patterns). You could make your first quilt as a table runner doing something like what you see there. You can't make a design mistake because you can reposition if you don't like some combination (before you sew it together). I think it is lovely. Yours will look nothing like it because you will be using different fabrics. If it is successful you can make place mats and pot holders (look up on this QB for "pot holders" so you know what is needed for them). Happy trails!
Old 09-05-2012, 11:04 AM

I totally agree that taking a class when you're new to sewing or quilting is a very good investment. If you're new to using a sewing machine, look for a basic sewing course. If you've got machine sewing experience, look for a quilting class.
I start my students learning to sew straight by following the lines on regular school lined paper. No thread, just follow the lines and learn to trust your machine and not fight it.. Once you can do that, taking on new tasks can be easier.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:07 AM

I got started by using a couple of Alex Anderson's beginning quilting books (purchased them thru Amazon) & watching You Tube videos. The picture of the log cabin on my avatar is the first one I did using Alex's books.

Watch out though - quilting is VERY addicting!!
Old 09-05-2012, 11:14 AM

If you lived close to me I could give you free lessons. I would love to help you.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:17 AM
Power Poster

Eleanor Burns of Quilt In A Day is great for beginners. if you can, watch her show on t.v.
also ck your library for quilting books. free ways to look for info.
later, you can watch videos on the internet for more info.
good cutting mat, good rotary cutter (careful, they are sharp), good rulers are a must.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:23 AM

I love table runners. You can finish most of them in a day or so and you use most all quilting skills (piecing, quilting, etc.) and still have to follow the same guidelines as larger projects. This board lead me to You Tube videos that were amazingly helpful.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Missouri.

I would try to buy a book of simple quilt patterns and just follow directions. I have made 107 quilts, 8 or so Biscuit quilts and 10 or so comforters and never had a lesson or class. I use to sew clothing for years and that did help to learn how to use a sewing machine. Do whatever will work for you.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:58 PM
Power Poster

My first suggestion:

If you can, it's worth the time and money to take a beginner's class. For many of us, it's just easier to learn by seeing something demonstrated in person than by reading a book or watching a video.

Quilts! Quilts! Quilts! is my favorite 'beginner' book. Maybe because it was one of the first I bought - and actually READ and made most of the blocks in it.
My second suggestion:

You don't need to actually USE every piece of fabric you experiment with. Remember all the homework we had to do in school? And all the paper that was used - that most of us eventually tossed? Some things are going to be 'learning exercises' and will end up unusable. That's okay. If you want to salvage whatever, that's fine, too. Many of us have a few 'hmmm - I know there is a better way to do that than this' items. It's part of the process.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:08 PM
QM
Power Poster

I agree with what has been said here. I was fortunate enough to be dragged to the local guild's quilting class, but there is lots of info available on line. Some blocks, like 4 patch, 9 patch and rail fence aren't particular about seam sizes. For me, the hardest thing was learning to use a 1/4" allowance. It's counter-intuitive, but if you have access to a sewing machine, paper piecing is great because your blocks WILL turn out to be perfect. There is a thread on this site for a block of the month of New York Beauty. The directions given are great. Regardless of what you decide to do, we are here for you. Ask your questions. They will be answered. Quilters love to share.