Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
$1000 machine isn't good? >

$1000 machine isn't good?

$1000 machine isn't good?

Old 09-06-2012, 04:42 AM

I would look for a different dealer...she needs to sell a certain machine and that is the one she is telling you that you need. Vikings are a wonderful machine...but you don't need a $4000 machine to do what you want.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:53 AM

Any dealer that is trying to push a machine that is way over your price range, you need to avoid. They are more interested in a sale, not matching you with the right product to meet your needs. I am a Bernina lover, but I tell people to check out the Brother machines. Go to a dealer with good customer service. Stay away from the walmart Brothers. Regardless of the brand, find one with customer service, and you are comfortable with that person. Customer service is half the quality of the machine. Remember, "You get what you pay for."
Old 09-06-2012, 05:00 AM

I would recommend a Juki 98 Q . It is a workhorse of a machine. No fancy bells & whistles but if you want a good basic, hard working machine with a good size harp, then this is it. Only sews forward & reverse but will sew thru 10 layers of denim (I tried it & it does). It runs about $1100.00 here in Canada so you can get it for less in the U.S.
Best of luck in your search.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:02 AM

I found a Singer machine at an auction and paid $2.00, in carrying case. It's heavy metal - so my heavier tops (like denim) are used with this machine. One doesn't have to spend a lot if the machine does what one wants it to do. When I did the research on this machine, curious as to the date it was made, I learned it was made in 1980 range. So not a bad bargain! I cleaned it up and it's a great looking/working machine!
Old 09-06-2012, 05:04 AM

Just remember that when you take a new machine home, plug it in, and sew a seam it is USED! There are a lot of very good "used" machines out there that are available for you and you don't need to spend the big bucks to get them. Try e-bay for descriptions. I don't know how many machines I have seen advertised that some good husband bought for his wife thinking she would love to sew and it ended up in a closet because she didn't know how to use it or wasn't interested. I have purchased a bunch of machines from e-bay and got exactly what they advertised. Just make sure they have them securely packed, not dumped in a box with a pile of foam peanuts. Do your research and save a bundle.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:34 AM

I suggest you look at Pfaff machines. They are less expensive than some - should be within your price range - but are said to be great machines. No - I'm not a dealer or related to one!
Sally
Old 09-06-2012, 05:35 AM

If you have a dealer for Brother or Babylock machines I would check there very nice reliable sewing machines that does not cost an arm and leg
Old 09-06-2012, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Skyangel View Post
You may want to consider getting a vintage metal machine for piecing and going over those seams. Keep your Singer for those decorative stitches and extra features. A vintage Singer 401 or even a straight-stitch-only 201 would have all the power you would need for heavier piecing. And at a lot less than $1000 to buy it and have it completely refurbished.
That's what I was going to suggest. I have a Viking from the mid 80's or so, and I have NEVER had any problem with it going over ANY seam. I bought it new, telling the guy I wanted something that was metal, and have been extremely satisfied
Of course, anything I make with it I can claim is all MY doings, it's a very basic machine

I have my google set up to flag anything new posted on the net with the word Viking, and it seems ~$200 is the norm
Old 09-06-2012, 05:54 AM

I also have a Singer Confidence and you are right that it does great for basic peicing/sewing. I bought sevreral months ago a Brotherrs1500s(srtaight stitch only) and love it for both peicing and quilting. It has presser foot tension feature. I still use my singer to use a fancy stitch to sew on binding. I bought my Brotherson line fron Amazon for $600 with free shipping and no taxes. I suggest that you go to a dealer and test "sew" machine and see which one you like and then check the internet for dealer/prices.Good Luck!
Old 09-06-2012, 06:07 AM

Last year my friend from Louisiana came for the Houston Festival Quilt Show.She had been looking at an Elna machine for two years. The local dealer had quoted her his best price for $2000+ for the machine. We went to the show on preview night and we scoped out the Elna Vendor display. There was the exact machine she wanted. $1268 including the cabinet, and all accerories and shipped to her home in Louisiana. It got home before she did. The whole transaction took about 10 minutes and we were on our way looking at quilts. If the dealer at the show made money who ever you were dealing with was into plundering and pilliageing. I bought one new machine in my life...it was a Pfaff and I bought it at the quilt show. Last year I bought a Viking Mega Quilter for $600 which has a large throat. It was my Mother's Day gift to me. I bought my daughter a 20 year old Bernina and it has more gadgets that she will never use. Pick out the 4 or 5 main things you want without fail and buy a machine you like. Put the rest of your extra money into fabric....