Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • New York Beauty Quilt Along Begins Oct 1st >
  • New York Beauty Quilt Along Begins Oct 1st

• New York Beauty Quilt Along Begins Oct 1st

Old 09-06-2012, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by sustraley
    I would love to be able to do paper piecing. It is one thing I need to learn. So, I clicked on the line for the patterns, found a sample block, printed it out. Ummm it is in a foreign language. Well, guess I need help already. I wanted to try one before I committed to this. Any suggestions for this girl?
    Sustraley, do a search on google, you will get plenty of sites that will teach you how to pp. I think that we have one here in the tutes. Give it a try!
    Old 09-06-2012, 06:09 AM

I recommend buying an "Add A Quarter Inch Ruler". I ordered the 6 inch one from connecting threads then ordered the 12 inch one. Here is what it looks like.....
    http://www.connectingthreads.com/Too...r__D81903.HTML

Here is video showing what it is used for...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA-b4SCL2ZU

Last edited by nygal; 09-06-2012 at 06:13 AM.
    Old 09-06-2012, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by sustraley
    I would love to be able to do paper piecing. It is one thing I need to learn. So, I clicked on the line for the patterns, found a sample block, printed it out. Ummm it is in a foreign language. Well, guess I need help already. I wanted to try one before I committed to this. Any suggestions for this girl?
    Find a tutorial on paperpiecing and try that. It's really pretty simple. Here's one from Quilter's Cache: http://www.quilterscache.com/StartQu...tingthree.html

And here's another for a block with some shapes like what are in a NYB: http://www.freshlemonsquilts.com/?ta...ecing-tutorial

It takes a little
    Old 09-06-2012, 07:52 AM

We'll be making 4 of each block BUT it's up to you if that is bigger than you want to make your quilt you can always make less...Thanks Mariposa for answering too
    Old 09-06-2012, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by JudyG
    Find a tutorial on paperpiecing and try that. It's really pretty simple. Here's one from Quilter's Cache: http://www.quilterscache.com/StartQu...tingthree.html

And here's another for a block with some shapes like what are in a NYB: http://www.freshlemonsquilts.com/?ta...ecing-tutorial

It takes a little
    Judy................Thanks for the website's you just posted. I printed a couple templates from the second one & am glad to have them in my library of pattern's!! I just love to paper piece.
    Old 09-06-2012, 11:35 AM

Sustraley - the links that JudyG and Nygal posted should be really helpful. I think its a great idea to get familar with PP before starting in Oct. Once you feel comfortable with some of the easier patterns here is another site with a bit more complicated PP. If you have any questions please let our group know it sounds like there are plenty who've done PP. I love PP and taught myself.

http://www.caroldoak.com/free-quilt-patterns.php
    Old 09-06-2012, 03:36 PM

I am thinking of mixing some batiks with florals on my blocks. I love Edyta Sitar's quilts and she mixes them together. I'm still doing "research" as to what I will do. The research is the fun part to me.
    Old 09-06-2012, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by nygal
    I am thinking of mixing some batiks with florals on my blocks. I love Edyta Sitar's quilts and she mixes them together. I'm still doing "research" as to what I will do. The research is the fun part to me.
    That will be pretty. I've mixed prints with the batiks on is block it worked well! You should try a test block like block 0
    Old 09-06-2012, 08:40 PM

have printed off the patterns for all 10. Do i have to wait to get started? Actually i do cause i havent finished this applique Panda quilt for niece who is expecting in October. But i will be joining you just as soon as I can. love the NYB but havent gotten to doing a whole quilt of them. Will be another "cross off the bucket list" for me.
    Old 09-07-2012, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by roseirish48
    have printed off the patterns for all 10. Do i have to wait to get started? Actually i do cause i havent finished this applique Panda quilt for niece who is expecting in October. But i will be joining you just as soon as I can. love the NYB but havent gotten to doing a whole quilt of them. Will be another "cross off the bucket list" for me.
    Welcome! Your panda quilt sounds adorable be sure to show us a picture when you're done:-)