Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
High bids for blue clone ... why???? >

High bids for blue clone ... why????

High bids for blue clone ... why????

Old 09-06-2012, 05:58 AM
FLQ

My clone is a blue Morse purchased for $19. I didn't get the manual but ut's available online. It sews great. What I learned about auctions is that sometimes "emotions" drive the price. I saw a very ordinary but nice ubquilted top sell for many times more that it should have because 3 bidders got a little crazy. I forget how many clones were produced but there are a lot around. Definitely keep looking.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:16 AM

Well, I was outbid again. This makes four I've been outbid on. I was bidding on a nice SEWMOR 202 in purty metallic blue in a nice case
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem...temID=11321235 .
At the last 10 minutes we were out bid. Then we bid again running up 20.00, then before my wife could get in another bid, (we're on dial up) two others snipped the auction in the last seconds running it up to $52.00. Not a terribly bad price, but more than we can afford right now.

I think I'm gonna

Joe
Old 09-06-2012, 07:51 AM

Aw... that's too bad. I hate computer snafu's.

Are there any sniper programs that will work on Goodwill auctions?

I use bid-slammer on "the bay." I just set the highest price I'm willing to pay for the item and then I forget it. I don't indicate my interest in the item by bidding early and I don't get caught up in emotional bidding. There's a lot of psychology in bidding - when you've placed a bid, you have a certain feeling of ownership which you might be drawn into defending.

Because I've set the highest price that I'm willing to pay, I don't have any regrets either way - if I get a winning notice from eBay, that's great - I don't pay more than I wanted to.

If I see that I was outbid by someone else's proxy on my bidslammer list, that's okay, too. I didn't pay more than I wanted to and another one will come along eventually. (Usually in a VERY short time. Good luck!
Old 09-06-2012, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot View Post
Aw... that's too bad. I hate computer snafu's.

Are there any sniper programs that will work on Goodwill auctions?

I use bid-slammer on "the bay." I just set the highest price I'm willing to pay for the item and then I forget it. I don't indicate my interest in the item by bidding early and I don't get caught up in emotional bidding. There's a lot of psychology in bidding - when you've placed a bid, you have a certain feeling of ownership which you might be drawn into defending.

Because I've set the highest price that I'm willing to pay, I don't have any regrets either way - if I get a winning notice from eBay, that's great - I don't pay more than I wanted to.

If I see that I was outbid by someone else's proxy on my bidslammer list, that's okay, too. I didn't pay more than I wanted to and another one will come along eventually. (Usually in a VERY short time. Good luck!
I agree 100%! I NEVER bid early on anything...it just drives the price up. I don't use a sniping service but I only bid once...the highest price I'd go in the last minute (preferably last few seconds) of the auction.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by path49 View Post
I agree 100%! I NEVER bid early on anything...it just drives the price up. I don't use a sniping service but I only bid once...the highest price I'd go in the last minute (preferably last few seconds) of the auction.
I do something similar on ShopGoodwill. I don't bid early and I place a bid for the highest amount I want to pay considering the cost of shipping. If I win, I won, if I lose, well that's OK too. The key is to not get caught up in "Auction Fever".
Old 09-06-2012, 09:16 AM

But ... but .... but .......I WANT A BLUE ONE Waaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!! See Joe stomping his feet, holding his breath and turning blue as he throws a temper tantrum........

For some silly reason I want a blue clone. Preferably a SEWMOR 202. That would go really sweet with my SEWMOR 404 and eventually the 606 I'm gonna get.

So yeah I guess I jumped the gun and bidded early.

Joe
Old 09-06-2012, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
But ... but .... but .......I WANT A BLUE ONE Waaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!! See Joe stomping his feet, holding his breath and turning blue as he throws a temper tantrum........

For some silly reason I want a blue clone. Preferably a SEWMOR 202. That would go really sweet with my SEWMOR 404 and eventually the 606 I'm gonna get.

So yeah I guess I jumped the gun and bidded early.

Joe
Now Joey (pat, pat, pat on head) calm down. Maybe Santa will bring you one for Christmas. So, just be a good boy and go play with your other toys, I mean sewing machines.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot View Post
The blue is a gorgeous color, the faceplate is ornate, lots of accessories present. I'd pay more than that, if I was in love with the machine.

I'm still crying about the turquoise-blue Morse Fotomatic IV that I passed up on CL because I thought they were asking too much. I still wish I hadn't chosen that one time in my life to be a tightwad.
Polyparrot - if my Morse Fotomatic IV is like the one you passed up, and Mars is anywhere near California, I might be enticed to make a deal with you.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Morse fotomatic IV.jpg
Views:	1071
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	360807   Click image for larger version

Name:	Morse FotomaticIV.jpg
Views:	1528
Size:	695.8 KB
ID:	360808  
Old 09-06-2012, 01:55 PM

QuiltnCowgirl,

Ooooooo, that is one purty machine. It or one like it would be welcome in my hoard ..... uh 'er collection any time.

Joe
Old 09-06-2012, 01:58 PM

wow-great machine-wish you lived near me.