Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • pattern name? >
  • pattern name?

• pattern name?

Old 09-09-2012, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by JuanitaBean
    Does anyone know were you can buy the pattern at?
    Read the rest of the thread. It's a commercial quilt. There is no pattern.
    Old 09-09-2012, 05:15 PM

If, when you contact the company, they give you the pattern (since they aren't making it any more, according to your source) please share it if they will allow you to do so. I would love to try it. Is it something that can be simulated in EQ? I am not familiar with the use of EQ. One wouldn't have to copy it exactly but do something similar. Do we have an EQ expert who might be willing to try??? It certainly is a beautiful pattern.
    Originally Posted by aunt ria
    i found it at a quilt outlet store in cherokee, nc and they let me take a pic. it was the last one they had and said they were no longer making this pattern. i will be contacting the company to ask for the pattern. all they can say is "no" thanks everyone for responding. maria
    Old 09-09-2012, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by aunt ria
    i found it at a quilt outlet store in cherokee, nc and they let me take a pic. it was the last one they had and said they were no longer making this pattern. i will be contacting the company to ask for the pattern. all they can say is "no" thanks everyone for responding. maria
    Be careful when asking for the pattern. They could say yes, ship you the pattern and charge you a lot of money for the pattern. I do hope you are lucky enough to get it. Keep us posted.
    Old 09-09-2012, 09:32 PM

That is a pretty design, and I'd like it too, if you get the company to send it to you. Good luck!
    Old 09-09-2012, 09:34 PM

I don't know the name but it's beautiful.
    Old 09-09-2012, 10:11 PM
    QM
    Power Poster

I have looked for that name extensively, since I saw a photo of an antique version of it. No luck. From the age, I suspect that it was inspired by an Egyptian craze. I call mine Pharoah's Phan. I made mine as a simple wall hanging because I wanted to keep the pattern in my mind. I showed it to a number of quilters around my area who are "into" antique quilts. None knew it. One suggested that the maker may have made the only one. It was in a B&B where a friend stayed.

The hearts were my addition.
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	pharohs phan S.jpg
Views:	1120
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	361660  
    Old 09-09-2012, 10:20 PM
    QM
    Power Poster

BTW, once I decided to do it, the drafting was not terribly difficult, but it was time consuming. The original I saw was all pale shirtings and tiny flowers. I decided that I wanted more contrast on mine. I started by drawing the outside curve around a plate, folded it in half , cut the outside and played around until I had the inside curves where I wanted them. I think I did 4 or 5 tries before I got it just the way I wanted it. If any of you want to download my photo and play with it, feel free.
    Old 09-10-2012, 03:06 AM

beautiful - don't know the name but would like to follow this thread to see who does!
    Old 09-10-2012, 03:57 AM

Each individual "fan shape" would be called a CLAMSHELL. But honestly, I've never seen them arranged in such a way... very creative.
    Old 09-10-2012, 06:23 AM

I'll bet the antique was called a "Lotus" - they decorated the Singers from the 20's with a lotus design and this is what the art deco interpretation of a lotus is - a curve-sided fan, rather than the pointed petals you'd see in an Asian interpretation. In the 20's, our country had a fascination for all things "exotic."

The original photo doesn't appear to be showing up any more, but I might give it a try with EQ. I would learn a lot, because aside from drawing the motifs, I have no idea how to get them to the quilt top and arrange them where I want them. But, it might be fun to try.