Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rag quilt. "Make it in a day", they said! Yeah, right!!! >

Rag quilt. "Make it in a day", they said! Yeah, right!!!

Rag quilt. "Make it in a day", they said! Yeah, right!!!

Old 09-10-2012, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by StaceySewsSorta View Post
THanks LOL

had a major snafu yesterday....
I buy my thread by the 1200 yard spool.... makes it so much easier. LOL Well, one of my kids (no one will own up to it, go figure) messed with the spool and had the ENTIRE THING strung out and tangled and ruined. And, of course I cant find my spare spool.... which I KNOW I have.

I had to switch threads, and this crappy thread I am using now may just cause me to lose my mind. Its so STIFF. Its 100% cotton, but it feels like it has some kind of coating on it, its like sewing with wire or something!!!

It keeps catching in my machine.

May have to drive half an hour to JoAnns just to grab another spool of "the good stuff" !!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!
Oh...I see, "Mr. Nobody", lives at your house, too. He must have left my home and moved on to yours after my kids were grown!!!!

The quilt will be "fan-tab-u-lous"!!!!!!
Old 09-10-2012, 06:26 AM

If you're anywhere near Lima, OH, Heavenly Stitches will cut the squares for you. they have a Accuquilt Studio you can rent time on too, and I believe that die does the snipping when it cuts the squares. Just a thought
Old 09-10-2012, 07:06 AM

Arheath ... Absolutely love your rag quilt!!!! The colors and square design is exceptional!!!! May have to try one like that

Jody
Old 09-10-2012, 07:37 AM

arheath, that's a wonderful rag quilt. How far apart did you do your snips?
Old 09-10-2012, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by willferg View Post
As I recall, the cutting, quilting, and piecing pales beside the work of snipping...but they are great quilts and worth the work!
I agree...thought my hands would fall off before I was finished snipping!
Old 09-10-2012, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Wonnie View Post
Oh...I see, "Mr. Nobody", lives at your house, too. He must have left my home and moved on to yours after my kids were grown!!!!

The quilt will be "fan-tab-u-lous"!!!!!!
At my house it was always Not I, so one day I told the kids I was going out to eat. They all chimed in could they go, I told them no, that Not I needed a break and a little more of my time since he was always getting into things.You should have seen their faces. Loved it;
Old 09-10-2012, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Raggiemom View Post
If you're anywhere near Lima, OH, Heavenly Stitches will cut the squares for you. they have a Accuquilt Studio you can rent time on too, and I believe that die does the snipping when it cuts the squares. Just a thought
Yes, the die does the snipping for you - I have the die and Accuquilt but haven't tried it yet. Plan on doing a rag quilt this winter using colored denim (thrift store finds) and various print flannels alternated. No middle batting and use a denim pattern flannel for the back. Hope it turns out as well as my first denim/flannel one. Will be my 8th rag quilt & counting!
Old 09-10-2012, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
At my house it was always Not I, so one day I told the kids I was going out to eat. They all chimed in could they go, I told them no, that Not I needed a break and a little more of my time since he was always getting into things.You should have seen their faces. Loved it;
I looking for "Not me - I don't know"!!!
Old 09-10-2012, 09:23 AM

Great thread here! I've learned so much... cut out all the square over a year ago & put them in a box somewhere. This makes me want to find them & put the quilt together. I love the Santa quilt - front & back - how cute!

Stacy - can't wait to see your rag quilt - the fabrics are pretty. No matter how long it takes you, it will be faster than mine, which is going to be years in the making at this rate
Old 09-10-2012, 11:55 AM

I have made more flannel rag quilts than I would care to count and I do have one comment. Using the fiskars rag quilt snips makes all the difference in the world. Heavy duty, easier on the hands and do not cut into the seam. (something I've done, I'm afraid). Also the fiskars cutting implements come with a lifetime guarantee. If the spring breaks they will send more to you to put on the tool.