Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do I need a Featherweight? >

Do I need a Featherweight?

Do I need a Featherweight?

Old 09-11-2012, 06:01 AM

I have one and don't use it often. However, I do go with hubby once in a while on business trips and stay in a motel during the day while he is in meetings. They are wonderful to take along to use at the motel.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:13 AM

I don't think you NEED a Featherweight but they sure do come in handy in certain circumstances.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by vmhlake View Post
I own 4 sewing machines, a model 66 Singer treadle machine, an Elna Quilter's Dream, a 301A Singer and a Singer Touch n Sew.

I need to know what benefit it would be to purchase a FW? As you can probably tell I am trying to convince myself that I need to have one.

I have been sewing quilts for 12 years now, don't do my own quilting on larger pieces, don't have room for a long arm quilting machine, I use all my machines.

Any suggestions?

Everyone needs one. Just to say you have one.
I'm still in the market!
Got a feeling this is not the answer you were looking for.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:59 AM

Welllll....there's need and there's want. I certainly didn't NEED a Featherweight but I now have four. I just love them. My heart leaps with joy when I see them. You have to decide how much you WANT one or NEED one and then go for it.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:07 AM

I have 5-do I need them?no do I want them -yes
Old 09-11-2012, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by barny View Post
I thought I had to have one, and got one. I have yet to sew on it. I sew on my old Touch n' sew I've had for ages. Since it was new. I guess it is over 50 yrs. old.
So glad to see someone else using a Touch 'n Sew. That's what I've used, too, for many years and have always loved it. Before the Touch 'n Sew, I had a Singer 201A that I bought used when I was 19 and learned to sew on. Not realizing what I had, I let my son and DIL have it when I got the "new" machine (the Touch 'n Sew in the late 70s!) and now bitterly regret ever letting it out of my sight (they got rid of it). I'd give anything to have it back. I also have a Singer 15 91 which I inherited (and love).
Old 09-11-2012, 09:14 AM

No one needs a featherweight....but we all NEED at least one. I have two. One I purchased about 20 years ago, and one was gifted to me by a fellow quilter who passed away 10 years ago by her husband. I use both of them. I always remember Donna when I use the gifted one. We spent a lot of time together quilting together. It brings her early loss back to mind each time I use it. It's in my car right now getting ready for a trip to Louisiana. My other one is ready to go to the shop as the stich level is not changing the size of the stich. It was fine the last time I used it, but this time it had a problem. I don't remember when it went to the shop last. I clean it regularly and it keeps on ticking...I usually keep it on the RV so I can sew whenever the mood strikes me.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:32 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I've been wanting one badly. My step brother took my mom's and said it was his mom's. It had my mom's name in the manual and everything, but he took it anyway. Broke my heart. But I bought a Singer 99K and had it tuned up for $79 and have never sewn on it and want to give it away because it's sitting on my piano bench, so I'm wondering if that will happen if I buy a Featherweight also. I already have a Bernina I use all the time and a Viking in my closet. Then I read up above where you have to learn how to thread it and I started thinking, oh no, don't want to do that. At least the 99K is threaded already. I don't even know anything about the 99K. I have the manual, bobbins and needles. No extra feet. If I were to get a Featherweight, I would want one in excellent condition, with a manual, with bobbins and extra feet and anything else that could come with it. It would have to come with the power cord, for sure. I don't want one that was someone else's headache. So, I know people have bought them dirt cheap, but were they in excellent shape and come with everything I want? I would pay the extra money to get what I want, not something I have to scour the net finding parts for, like a power cord and manual and feet. Maybe it's easy to find all that, I don't know, but check first.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by KyKaren1949 View Post
I wanted just one! I got a 1947 black one. I had really wanted a white one but couldn't find any for sale. Then, presto! I found a white on on the Shop Goodwill website and bought it. Well, then I went to a workshop where the instructor said, "How cool is it to own a FW born the same year you were!" <sigh> I started searching again. I found a 1949 black one on ebay and won the bid. I knew I was satisfied then. But......then, there was a 1951
Centennial on ebay late one night going for a good price. I thought that was pretty neat to see the 100th anniversary addition, so I bought it. I was so happy to have my little collection. I lusted over the 222 ones from a distance but knew I could never afford one....until my mother in law passed away and left me some money. Got the 222 from London, England. I do believe I am finished.....unless.....I find a tan one for a good price.
This being all said, I have to add that I sew on them all. I take one and then another to workshops where only straight sewing is required. I have all the attachments and am learning to use those as well. They have awesome power and never balk at a double seam. They're easy to use and maintain and besides...they're just too darned cute!
My MIL has a tan one, but you'll never learn her name or location from me! tee hee
Old 09-11-2012, 09:52 AM

You may not need one but you will never regret it if you buy one. I was sewing on mine the other night and told John I thought it was my favorite machine.