Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rings that bind...fabric selection help. >

Rings that bind...fabric selection help.

Rings that bind...fabric selection help.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:33 PM
Power Poster

Cotton as you already know is best. A floral will show less mistakes, we all make them. Sew with a smallish stitch. Buy a self healing mat, large is best, a rotary cutter and extra blade or blades and a good 6 x 24" ruler. Practice using the rotary cutter, not real easy to use. An iron, plain or fancy is a must. Every seam you sew you must press.
I hope this helps. Welcome from St. Louis, MO.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:01 PM

Had to check out the pattern, there's a short video clip & it does look pretty straight forward if you have her cutting arcs etc. Good luck & welcome to the forum. http://phillipsfiberart.danemcoweb.com/ringsthatbind/
Old 09-17-2012, 02:10 PM

I am one who doesn't prewash. So far it has not been a problem for me. If I ever select red fabric, I would prewash that so it wouldn't bleed on the rest of my quilt. Other than that, I am quite happy not prewashing. You will find both opinions here. I am not sure which way the majority would vote...probably prewashing. Oh well, I never claimed to be normal.

Welcome to quilting and to this group. It is a great place to learn about anything you want to know about quilting. Any question I have ever asked has been answered, usually immediately!!

Dina
Old 09-17-2012, 02:21 PM

Do you have the book for this quilt? And the templates? It might be very difficult with out. I tried to purchase the book some time ago, and was unable to find one. Maybe I didn't look in all the right places. I did see mention at one time that it took a lot of fabric. I saw Cheryl Philips do a demo on "Simpley Quilts" several years ago, and also on Kay Woods site. It's a lovely quilt. Good luck. You are a brave woman!!
Old 09-17-2012, 10:03 PM

Hello Quilting Friends

Thank you all so very much for making me feel so welcome and all your help and suggestions so far. I look forward to taking on this task that I am about to attempt and learn from each one of you all.

Well I was asked do I have the book and template? As crazy as this is gonna sound...No I do not have either one of them. I am going on watching the video on Kay Woods site and all that I have learned just from reading. I am making my own arc...which I think I have almost figured out. I have watched the video over and over again and measured and cut and measured and cut some more. (smile) I realize just from what I have read so far that the double wedding ring quilt is one of the hardest quilts to make and I most certaintly have a big challenge ahead of me...but I am determind to figure it out. The double wedding ring quilt is the one my daughter has always loved, every time she sees one she will tell me how much she would love to have one. My daughter is not one to ask for anything so it means the world to me to be able to do this for her. I don't plan on actually starting the quilt until after Christmas. Christmas is when I will be getting my material for the fabric and hopefully a sewing machine as well. In the mean time I plan on learning and doing it all by hand, even the quilting part of it. I have recently just learned how to do the quilting stitch by hand and I may end up doing all the quilting by hand because by Christmas I plan on having that down as well. We may not have a sheet or pillow case left in the house by the time I actually get my fabric for the quilt, but I will have it figured out. (smile)

It was mentioned earlier that it takes alot of material to do the quilt with the Rings that bind method...I was able to see how much material it takes. On amazon they sell the book and you are able to take a peek inside and one of the pages they show is the amount of fabric needed for each size quilt...Which by the way, I plan on making a queen size quilt. It does take alot of fabric but I figure if I can get it on sale it will be do-able.

I know alot of you probably think I am crazy and that this will never happen for me...but I am determined and I do believe I can do this.

When I get my arc figured out and I complete the first circle I will post a picture of it. I've been working on the arc for a couple of weeks now and I think I almost got it figured out. I just cut out my pieces again and will try and piece them together in the next few days...hopefully all will go well.

You all take care and again I want to Thank you so much for your suggestions and help and most importantly for making me feel so Welcome even though I must sound like I have lost my mind for attempting such a quilt in the way that I am.

Have a wonderful day...
Old 09-17-2012, 10:06 PM

A big welcome from Texas.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:09 AM

Welcome from Indiana. You are one brave lady and you'll find here that you have a great group cheering you on
Old 09-18-2012, 06:22 AM

Hi, welcome from NE Ohio. I always use 100% cotton.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:13 AM
Power Poster

I have the book. The video demo leaves out a lot of helpful steps. You can figure it out as you go but the book and tool make it much easier. Why not buy them?
Old 09-18-2012, 10:11 AM

Good Morning and again Thank you for all the "Welcomes"

I have to say I love this forum...You all are such a great group of people. It's so nice gettin to come here and seeing where you all are from and knowing that...my help in making this quilt is from all parts of the country. I'm from the hills of Kentucky and just about as country as you can get (which is not a bad thing...I consider it a Blessing)

Well as to why I don't buy the book and tool...I would love to have the book and tool, I'm sure it would make it alot easier but I just can't afford to buy it. I know that may sound crazy to some because it is only about thirty dollars...but when you aint got it...You just aint got it. The way I see it is I could spend that thirty dollars on myself to make things easier on me... or I could give that same thirty dollars to someone else to make things easier on them in someway. If I had the thirty dollars to spare I would choose to help someone else out...Trust me I know I am not doing this the easy way...(even with the book and tool I know it's not easy) but I will figure it out and with the help of all my new quilting friends here whatever I can't figure out on my own, I'm sure I can learn from you all.

I'm gonna pull out all my stuff again today and cut and measure some more...I will figure this out. Just as soon as I do I will post pictures so that you all don't think that I am just totality hopeless.(smile)

Take care and you all have a wonderful day