Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rings that bind...fabric selection help. >

Rings that bind...fabric selection help.

Rings that bind...fabric selection help.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:58 AM

Hello Friends

You all are so wonderful...Thank you so very much for all your help and suggestions.

Well after many many attempts I think I have my arc figured out. (Actually I think I had it figured out a while back and just didn't realize it) I would cut my 4 arc's out...sew them togehter and lay them on the 17.5 inch circle and they were to big. I didn't realize that when you turned the inner edge of the arc's in it would take up that extra material that I was gettin so fustrated with. Anyhow...I'm pretty sure I have it now. (WOO HOO for me) Everything is lining up so far. I have taken some pictures to show where I am at this point...I need help. Please keep in mind before you look at the pictures I am a 100% newbie to all of this and I know I have a long way to go before I go cuttin on some nice fabric...Like I said before I will need all this time before Christmas just to figure it out.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]364082[/ATTACH]I am gonna go ahead and post this just to see if I even know how to put a picture on here...If so I have a few more and I will let you know what I have done so far.

Take care
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	102_0419 resized.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	364082  
Old 09-19-2012, 12:25 PM

Well it worked...

In the picture above is my completed circle with my arc's sewed on. So far so good...it all matches up anyhow...Trust me at this point that is a very big accomplishment for me. (smile)

Also in the picture above if you can see it...you will see that I have loosly stitched the inner circle of the arc's...that was just to make sure I got my quarter inch seam even all the way around. I wil take these stiches out when it's time for me to sew it down to the backing. (they are just in there real loose and will be easy to take out)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]364093[/ATTACH] This is after I flipped my arc's over...It's not a perfect circle anymore....this is where I need help.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]364094[/ATTACH]Here is a close up of what I am talking about when I said it's not a perfect circle anymore. I've not pressed it down or anything yet because I wanted to see what you all suggested before I did. Maybe it's because my stitching wasn't perfect or I am just doing the whole thing wrong...who knows....maybe you all can help.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]364098[/ATTACH]Here is a close up of what I am talking about when I say maybe it is because my stitching is not straight...Maybe I am using the wrong stitch...Could that be the problem?

Well I will be eargly awaiting any help you all can offer. Like I said before I know I have a long way to go...but I will get it.

You all take care...Have a wonderful day and I will talk to you later.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	102_0420 resized.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	364093   Click image for larger version

Name:	102_0421 resized.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	186.8 KB
ID:	364094   Click image for larger version

Name:	102_0423 resized.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	364098  
Old 09-19-2012, 12:29 PM

Like your can do attitude, keep us posted!
Old 09-19-2012, 12:58 PM

I think you can do it...my second quilt was a Lone Star and believe you me I ripped, sewed and ripped again before I got it finished but I did it!! It was by no means perfect but it turned out okay...so stick with it...as for fabric, 100% cotton, in colors that are complimentary to each other, because the rings, if I remember the technique, fold over onto your base fabric...as far as washing, some people do, some don't..I do... good luck and keep us posted...
Old 09-19-2012, 01:58 PM

I hope someone who has made this pattern is following this thread, as I would love to help, but have no idea how to do circles nor hand stitch. Sending good quilting wishes your way though.

Dina
Old 09-19-2012, 03:25 PM

I think you should try a level one pattern before you try Rings that Bind.
At least find a quilt shop and take a class. I would hate for you to become discourage.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:53 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by misseva View Post
Wow, I just went to Alibris (used books) and they have this book priced from $30.63 to $262.95!!!! Most of the books I buy from Alibris.com are in the $.99 range. If I understand this is a double wedding ring pattern. Isn't there something on internet for free that's like paper pieced?

Don't buy it there. It's been reprinted and for sale on the website at a normal price. This method is all in one. No quilting or layering required when done. I made one and did it all by machine. It was fast and looked great.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:35 PM

The little "bumps" in your circle could be from the stitching, or maybe just not evened out from inside. I think I would use a very small running stitch, and might even mark the 1 /4 inch seam allowence all the way around before stitching. When it is stitched and turned, use a tool of some sort (dull table knive would work) to run around the inside, pressing lightly as you go. I think this would strighten out the "bumps" . Also, I'd be willing to bet a little "bumpyness" will never show in the finished block. Especially if using a print fabric. I think most hand piecing is done with a small running stitch, taking a back stitch at the beginning and ends of the stitching. At least that is the way I have done it. Best of luck to you. I am watching this thread!!
Old 09-19-2012, 05:10 PM

I too have bought the new "Rings that bind" follow the directions, prewash-and use a pinking blade-round edge-take it slow as I am, it is much easier than doing a wedding ring quilt, it will take time, go with the "Slow Flow" and all will come out okay-Welcome, all of us were also new to quilting at one time, and with practice, and many years are getting better
Old 09-19-2012, 05:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by humbird View Post
The little "bumps" in your circle could be from the stitching, or maybe just not evened out from inside. I think I would use a very small running stitch, and might even mark the 1 /4 inch seam allowence all the way around before stitching. When it is stitched and turned, use a tool of some sort (dull table knive would work) to run around the inside, pressing lightly as you go. I think this would strighten out the "bumps" . Also, I'd be willing to bet a little "bumpyness" will never show in the finished block. Especially if using a print fabric. I think most hand piecing is done with a small running stitch, taking a back stitch at the beginning and ends of the stitching. At least that is the way I have done it. Best of luck to you. I am watching this thread!!
First off, I agree with humbird.

Secondly, hello and welcome. You certainly get a gold star for determination. I am unfamiliar with the pattern/technique you are using, but if you apply all the usual "rules", you should be able to work it out. My most useful tips (well, stuff that works for me anyway!) are: pre-wash, learn your iron and spray starch are your quilting best friends, read twice, then do, and likewise measure twice, cut once Happy figuring and ultimately quilting.