Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rings that bind...fabric selection help. >

Rings that bind...fabric selection help.

Rings that bind...fabric selection help.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:24 PM

I haven't made this myself, but I peeked into the book on Amazon. They suggest understitching before turning the circle right-side-out. That might help your uneven circle. (Stitch 3 layers together, really close to your seam - the 2 seam allowances and the backing fabric. It's similar to topstitching, but the stitches won't show on the finished quilt. The "free peek" on amazon includes this bit.

You also might find that the circle can be easily smoothed when you iron it. The bumps are caused because you are folding excess fabric in the seam - note that what is in the seam allowance is in fact a bigger perimeter than the seam itself, so the seam allowance has to fold/crumple/ease/do something to fit when you flip the circle. Heat will help ease it all into place. Just work along the seam line slowly with your iron, smoothing out the outer edge so it folds right along the seam line as you go.

I hope that makes sense. And it looks like you are off to a great start! Good luck.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:35 AM

You go for it. Just be sure to buy extra fabric. You will make mistakes. I know its no where as hard but my first quilt was a queen sized Storm at Sea. I quilted it myself on my new longarm. It was for my grandson's graduation years ago. He still has it and loves it. Came out good enought to get honorable mention at our clubs quilt show Viewer's Choice category. There were reasons I chose that pattern for him that I will not go into her but it provided the motivation to persevere.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:00 AM

well, all I can say is..if you are planning to have this done by Christmas, what year???

I don't have that kind of fortitude.
My first quilt---did not know anything--was a simple four patch made with squares already cut that I had picked up at a garage sale......a looooong time ago... If I had started with this particular pattern, I definitely would not be a quilter today!!!!!

Go to your local library, maybe they have or can get the book for you-or even books on "how to..." which is what I did after I finished my "first" and discovered this wonderful world.....

Are you using scissors or did you invest in a rotary cutter and self-healing mat?

Are you doing this by hand or will you be using a sewing machine? From the pics it looks like you are hand sewing with a backstitch rather than a straight stitch....that would make little bumpies......

I sincerely suggest you try something a little less difficult as your first step into this pool.......

To me, my quilting/sewing is relaxation not frustration---we have enough in the real world....

Remember when/if you decide to make a bed size quilt -for your daughter - it will require much fabric - front and back and batting - and that too will cost $$$$$$
Old 09-20-2012, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by kristakz View Post
I haven't made this myself, but I peeked into the book on Amazon. They suggest understitching before turning the circle right-side-out. That might help your uneven circle. (Stitch 3 layers together, really close to your seam - the 2 seam allowances and the backing fabric. It's similar to topstitching, but the stitches won't show on the finished quilt. The "free peek" on amazon includes this bit.

You also might find that the circle can be easily smoothed when you iron it. The bumps are caused because you are folding excess fabric in the seam - note that what is in the seam allowance is in fact a bigger perimeter than the seam itself, so the seam allowance has to fold/crumple/ease/do something to fit when you flip the circle. Heat will help ease it all into place. Just work along the seam line slowly with your iron, smoothing out the outer edge so it folds right along the seam line as you go.

I hope that makes sense. And it looks like you are off to a great start! Good luck.
Hello and Thank you so much for this information although I have no clue as to what it means. I guess I must sound like a complete dummy...I reckon I am when it comes to sewing. I looked at the book on amazon and even went to the "peek inside" (that is how I knew how much fabric it is gonna take...but I did not see this at all. Maybe differrent people get to see different pages...who knows. In any case Thank you so much for looking for me and telling me this. I think I got the bumps figured out now....Now I have a new problem (smile) I'm gonna post pictures to let every one see where I am at and what I done wrong.

Again Thank you
Old 09-20-2012, 02:53 PM

If you need a little assist on the hand sewing part, google Jenny Beyer, she does all her quilts by hand. There are a couple of free tutes on how to hand sew for quilts.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:20 PM

Hello Friends.

Thank you all so much for your help and encourgement it is truly appreciated.

Well I got all the bumps out, I watched a video on youtube on sewing curve seams...I cut little slits in the seam allowence (being very careful not to cut into the seam) I also just smooted and ironed till they came out. I have a new problem now which I will show here in pictures. I have no clue as to what I done wrong. I followed every step on the video and measured and measured again but it just aint fittin now. So this circle is not going to work but I will put some lining on it and a front piece and practice on my quilting and hopefully the next circle will come out right. (smile)

I do have a new quilting friend that is going to send me a copy of her arc so hopefully that is what my problem was (I just had my arc wrong) it will be intresting to see just how close I was.

I don't consider this circle a waste...not at all. I have learned alot and from what I have learned it will only make the next one better.

Here's the pictures:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]364320[/ATTACH]
This is my circle with my arc's sewed down and all the bumps out. Actually I'm very impressed it turned out so good, especially since I had no clue as to what I was doing...even though it is the wrong size now. I hand stitched it around the inner edge...my stitches are not perfect but with each circle I'm sure that will improve...I hope (smile)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]364321[/ATTACH]
This is the back of the circle. You can't really tell in this picture but some of the edges of the arc is showing on this side. I guess I just didn't sew it real even on the other side...but you know what they say practice makes perfect....I still got lots of practice to go.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]364322[/ATTACH]
This is a close up of what I was talking about before when I said you can see a little bit of the arc from this side...I will get it in time.

Ok here is my new problem...
I started with an 18 inch square and from that used my arc to make a circle that was 17.5 inch circle. On the back I drew my 12 inch square. Now on the video she puts a piece of batting inside the 12 inch square (which I believe she said was 11.5 inches) I've not got to that part yet. Then she takes her top piece which she says is 12.5 inches and puts over that...On the video it is a perfect fit to the circle (her corners of the 12.5 inch top fit perfecty on the circle)....My 12 inch square don't even fit no more.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]364323[/ATTACH]
Here is a picture of what I am talking about. My 12 inch square is the white piece on top...it is cut from a piece of grip poster board and is excatly a 12 inch square.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]364324[/ATTACH]
As you can see in this picture my 12 inch square hangs over the edge...so I know there is no way I got it right. Like I said before she puts a topping on of 12.5 inches.

So what is it that I have done wrong?

Maybe it's because my arc that I have figured out is wrong and hopefully that is all that it is and when I get my copy it will fix this problem but I'm still intrested to hear what you all think.

Well I will just practice quilting on this one (I'm sure I'm gonna need plenty of practice on that as well) and hopefully the next circle will turn out right.

I may figure out what size batting and front piece I need for this one for it to be right and just make another one this size (till I get my arc) that way I can see if it is gonna match up anyhow.

Well you all have a wonderful day and I will talk to you later.
Your friend

P.S. someone had ask earlier if I planned on having this done by Christmas what year? I don't plan on having it done by Christmas that is when I am gonna get the fabric for it. I would like to have it done by my daughter's birthday which is in August...but if not maybe Christmas next year and if not then maybe her next birthday (smile)

Have a great day you all.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	102_0424 resized.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	364320   Click image for larger version

Name:	102_0425 resized.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	364321   Click image for larger version

Name:	102_0427 resized.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	364322   Click image for larger version

Name:	102_0428 resized.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	364323   Click image for larger version

Name:	102_0429 resized.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	364324  

Old 09-20-2012, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by QuilterMomma View Post
If you need a little assist on the hand sewing part, google Jenny Beyer, she does all her quilts by hand. There are a couple of free tutes on how to hand sew for quilts.
Thank you I will definatly check that out...I need all the help I can get. (smile)
Old 09-20-2012, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
well, all I can say is..if you are planning to have this done by Christmas, what year???

I don't have that kind of fortitude.
My first quilt---did not know anything--was a simple four patch made with squares already cut that I had picked up at a garage sale......a looooong time ago... If I had started with this particular pattern, I definitely would not be a quilter today!!!!!

Go to your local library, maybe they have or can get the book for you-or even books on "how to..." which is what I did after I finished my "first" and discovered this wonderful world.....

Are you using scissors or did you invest in a rotary cutter and self-healing mat?

Are you doing this by hand or will you be using a sewing machine? From the pics it looks like you are hand sewing with a backstitch rather than a straight stitch....that would make little bumpies......

I sincerely suggest you try something a little less difficult as your first step into this pool.......

To me, my quilting/sewing is relaxation not frustration---we have enough in the real world....

Remember when/if you decide to make a bed size quilt -for your daughter - it will require much fabric - front and back and batting - and that too will cost $$$$$$
Hello

I cut this out with scissors although I do plan on getting a rotary cutter...I know that will make things alot easier not to mention alot more precise...hopefully it won't be to hard to learn how to use one from what I have read they can be tricky to use...but like with everything else...I can learn and I will figure it out.
Have a great day
Old 09-21-2012, 11:26 AM

Hello Friends

Where did all my help go? (smile)

I've not started quilting on this circle yet and may not get to till after the weekend...my daughter is home on the weekends and she usually keeps me pretty busy...not to mention I don't want her to know that I am working on this.

I do hope to hear from you all and let me know what you think.
Take care everyone and I will talk to you later.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by havinfun View Post
Hello Friends

Where did all my help go? (smile)

I've not started quilting on this circle yet and may not get to till after the weekend...my daughter is home on the weekends and she usually keeps me pretty busy...not to mention I don't want her to know that I am working on this.

I do hope to hear from you all and let me know what you think.
Take care everyone and I will talk to you later.
I'm sure things will go better for you once you get a copy of the arc. What I have seen so far looks pretty good. Keep at it! Waiting to see more!!