Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do with your scraps when ... >

What do you do with your scraps when ...

What do you do with your scraps when ...

Old 09-21-2012, 03:29 AM

It depends on how busy I am....

In the past I spent time cutting fabrics up the 'Bonnie Hunter way'....
I even made a number of crumb blocks...
Lately though fabrics are just placed in a holding tote....

Either way I still have the leftover fabrics! Toss no fabric before it's time!
Old 09-21-2012, 08:09 AM

I work on two scrap quilts at a time in between my other quilts. I am presently cutting a few 5 inch squares and 2 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch pieces from each scrap. What ever is left I sort by light, medium, and dark for future use.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:28 AM

I am beginning a large stash! I keep the large pieces (to small to use as-is but larger enough to cut smaller) andt hen once a month or so.. I will take the pieces and cut them into the largest size possible...with the theory...I can always cut them smaller if I need to but they are larger if I need them larger. So depending on the shape of the "scrap", I will either cut a large square (I go by my templates...5,6,9 and 12 sq) then if anything is left...go smaller but 2,1/2 is the smallest I work with. THen I just bunch them together nad have them in a drawer caddy thing. I do the same if I have large strip scraps...cut them longest possible, then leave them that way...I can use them as borders,sashings like that or cut them into squares. Haven't collected enough to do anything with yet, but looking forward to it!
Old 09-21-2012, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

I have two bins for scraps, one darks - one lights. When they overflow it's time to make a scrap project. I don't like to precut mine because I never know what I am going to make.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:22 PM

If they are big enough for a patch, color blocking in a garment or part of a doll's dress, I'll keep them. Real tiny stuff usually gets thrown out. I've got a couple of boxes in the basement that I simply don't feel like sorting.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:56 AM

My first post---I love scraps as I love fabric. I found a great 3 drawer rolling file cabinet at TJ Maxx. It has 2 smaller drawers on the top and one for files on the bottom. Because I just collect fabric-haha. I use the top two drawers for smaller scraps and the bottom for larger ones. I have tried so many different ways of organizing but I'm not that experienced a quilter or sewer to sort them by colors or cut them into strips. Oh to have a craft room the size of my apartment! Peace to all!
Old 09-28-2012, 03:54 PM

I've tried cutting scraps into strips or squares but it doesn't work for me. When I do scrap or applique quilts I create them with colors in mind. I pop all scraps into a drawer next to my table until it gets full. Then I sort by color and stash them in large bags for possible future use. However, I keep 1930's and batiks separately. We all think and create in our own unique way, so you'll need to design the method that works best for you.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:03 PM

I cut mine into many different sizes (3.5" for disappearing 9-patch, 2 x 6 for rail fence or piano key borders, pyramids, tumblers, 2" squares, strips for log cabin, etc.) and use them as leaders and enders while working on something. Eventually there's enough for a quilt.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:24 PM

I just start sewing them together in random fashion and then cut them into some size squares when they get big enough. Eventually you can have enough blocks for a crazy quilt
Old 09-28-2012, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by liont View Post
What do you do with your scraps (of varying sizes) when you have no idea or design for them in mind?

Do you
(1) Cut into strips - 1.5 or 2.5 inch wide?
(2) Foundation piece it - what shape/size?
(3) Let it sit, leave it alone.

I ask this because I am getting a little uneasy with my scraps. I feel like I'm not maximizing them.

Thanks.
Quick answer, go here: http://quiltville.com/index.html