Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much fabric do you have in your stash? >

How much fabric do you have in your stash?

Old 04-07-2010, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
I am trying not to buy any fabric this year. Use what I have. So can't look at Joann flyers, read sales on email, etc. Talk about withdrawal.
Awww poor Debbie. We're here for ya! :^)
Old 04-07-2010, 05:53 PM

Well, probably more than I need to have. However, not all my stash is quilting related. I have bolts and bolts of denim that I bought any time a store was going out of business. All different weights of it. Then there is a tote full of flannel, a tote full of fat qtrs, and several boxes full of calico, and scrap boxes. I have a couple of bolts of microfiber faux suede, and goodness probably other stuff I've forgotten about... Don't have any more room at present time, gotta use up what I have before I buy any more.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear

Do you have it all organized by colors, sizes etc.

Do you save your scraps?
OK, I just found this thread, havn't even read any responses yet :lol:
Love this one

Now...how much fabric do I have? Not as much as one year ago :-) , plastic drawers x 12 plus, plastic totes one each for 1930's, red, white and blue, 5inch squares and strips, one each for light and dark 1 1/2 inch strips...
9 shelves, 16 (12 inch) squares stackable cubes, a laundry basket full...

Now to go read all the responses :P
Old 04-07-2010, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by QBeth
Originally Posted by craftybear
I don't have very much fabric right now but trying to build up my stash.

I have been blessed with friends giving me some scraps. I am making paper pieced scrappy quilt. Also practicing on making blocks!

My husband has been unemployed since July 2009 so things have been rough for us. He just got a job so will be nice to have $ and Health Insurance again.
Congratulations!!! So many are out of work, it's scary. Having been unemployed, or under-employed in the past, I think my stash building is a defense mechanism. That, and being a very organized pack rat! It's like a squirrel storing nuts for the winter.
My stash has been used alot, and decreased in size significantly as both my husband and I have been unemployeed since March 2009. I feel everyone's pain that is or has been in the same boat. We are both 55+ years old and are lucky to be mostly in good health, avoided the floods that hit alot in MA. Good luck and God Bless to all of you!!

PS, I am grateful to have my stash to work with. I look forward to the day I can start building it up again.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:16 PM

Well it all fits in one walk in closet so I guess I'm going ok, right?
Old 04-07-2010, 08:11 PM

I can truthfully say, I haven't bought the first piece of fabric in 2010. (So far) But I did buy probably 18-20 yards in December 09. :XD: :XD:
Old 04-08-2010, 08:02 PM
Power Poster

A lot. I try not to think about it. There are 10 totes, eight shoe storage boxes and a three drawer dresser for fat quarters. And I still keep buying.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by MegsAnn View Post
Wow you guys sure have lots of fabric. How do you afford all that? My stash could fit into one carboard box if I moved. I'd loooove to have more, but it's not in the budget. (And I learned my lesson on not getting the cheapest fabric you can find when I made a pillowtop out of $1/yd Walmart fabric. Yikes!)
Mine would fit in a box too. Right now I'm working on a tshirt quilt with a fleece backing, so I have lots of fleece. Not counting that I have enough to fill a small tote. Have lots of projects in mind, just need the funds and fabric to go with!
Old 09-21-2012, 10:57 AM

OH! not sure how to answer that one, A closet with 6 shelves 18"x 54" all flat folds sorted by color top shelf alll kits in 3 gallon size bags , totes under the cutting table, sorted by size. one tots is especially for strips ( when I by or get fabric I cut a 2" strip some day I plan to make a strip Quitl ) I Love Fabric
Old 09-21-2012, 10:58 AM

3 chest drawers but I am thinking I don't have enough LOL. Part of the problem is that the fabric is neatly in the drawers but not where I can see it.