Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Different brands of machine embroidery thread >

Different brands of machine embroidery thread

Different brands of machine embroidery thread

Old 09-21-2012, 03:43 AM

Default Different brands of machine embroidery thread

I have an Ellisimo Baby lock embroidery machine and I have been using the maderia thread. My question is what kind of thread do you use in your machine and if you have used more than one kind which do you like best. The LQS shop closed to me is now selling the Floriana thread and stabilizers. What are you thoughts on this brand?
Old 09-21-2012, 03:55 AM
Power Poster

I think that embroidery machines are on the finicky side. You are going to get conflicting replies. Different machines do better with different brands of threads, even within the same machine manufacturer. Floriani is a good national brand, but see if your machine likes it buy getting one or two colors before purchasing a bunch.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:12 AM

Paper Princess is right about what a machine likes but I have gone to polyester thread as the color will not ruin like rayon thread does.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:36 AM

I have a Janome 11000SE and I like PolyX40 (now renamed Exquisite) embroidery thread. It works well in the machine and is not too expensive.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:44 AM

I don't have an embroidery machine. I do, however, keep the books for a medium size(11 employees) screen print/embroidery business. They use Sulky and/or Madeira for all of their embroidery. I use the same for my quilting. The one thing I learned is you MUST have the same top and bobbin threads to get the best results. Learned that the hard way.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:54 AM

I now have two embroidery machines, one of which is a Brother, the other a Singer Futura Quartet. I've used Robison-Anton thread with no problems, also a Mexican thread called Iris, as well as the thread from DesignsbySick.
The only thread the Brother doesn't like are the red colors from DesignsbySick. For some reason they keep shredding in my machine. I have to use other brands of red. I haven't tried the Floriani thread because the shop only sold the sets of colors, not individual ones. Since I've only embroidered two pieces with the Futura Quartet, I really can't tell you what it does and doesn't like.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:08 AM

I have the Brother equivalent of your machine. I use whatever the heck I want to buy depending on what color I need. I try to always use colored bobbin thread in 60 weight in my bobbins, but I have trouble finding a lot of color choices in the 60 weight thread. For the top thread I like rayon thread best, then polyester, and I buy mine from a supplier in Great Britain who buys thread made in Pakistan. The small size - 250 yds- cost me about $1 but I only can get about 25 colors. The other colors I buy the best buy I can f ind including prices up to$9 a spool. Cuss words! I hate paying top dollar for a color because I need just that one for a particular shading, etc. I don't automatically go with the colors suggested with a design because, don't you know, my 4 shades of brown won't include the shade they want. Also, I may love the design, but the main color may be red when I need the main color to be blue, so I have to reassign colors. I bought a color chart for R-A thread to help me locate the right colors in other brands of thread - my machine only includes the colors for 4 major brands. The chart really helps. I has a couple hundred of colors shown. I think I have less than a hundred in my thread stash now.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:50 PM

I guess that I am lucky then 'cause in my new Brother SE400 I'm using thread that I purchased from Threadart, very reasonable! Also my Brother suggests just using "Bobbin thread" for the bobbin, so I don't have to have all the different colors of thread for the bobbin, and it doesn't seem to be picky!
Old 09-21-2012, 06:21 PM

My Janome dealer recommended Madeira polyneon for my Janone 350E. That's all I've ever used, and I have had no problems whatsoever with it. So, I'll keep on using it.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Casi View Post
I guess that I am lucky then 'cause in my new Brother SE400 I'm using thread that I purchased from Threadart, very reasonable! Also my Brother suggests just using "Bobbin thread" for the bobbin, so I don't have to have all the different colors of thread for the bobbin, and it doesn't seem to be picky!
The trouble with just using "Bobbin thread" for the bobbin is that your embroider designs are not reversible and there are many things that having reversible designs are very desireable. That's why many of us have colored 60 weight bobbin threa.