Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about sending out a quilt >

Question about sending out a quilt

Question about sending out a quilt

Old 09-23-2012, 09:39 AM

Question Question about sending out a quilt

Hello everyone! I am a newbie to quilting and I just finished my first quilt top. I had so much fun and was even looking forward to the adventure of machine quilting it myself. Unfortunately I will not be able to finish the quilting because I just got accepted into a Nursing Program and will simply not have the time to work on it.

I was hoping to get some advice on what I need to do about sending the quilt out for someone else to finish the quilting. Has anyone ever done this and if so what do I need to do? Is it expensive? Does anyone know of a good company?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!
Old 09-23-2012, 09:45 AM

there are several on this board all all do great work. Cost depends on size of quilt and what kind of quilting you want done. The laq usually wants the backing/ batting and top but do not pin or baste together because its' put on rollers unlike doing it at home. Good luck with your nursing career. Many nurses also seem to be quilters!!
Old 09-23-2012, 09:50 AM
Power Poster

first start locally- visit the local quilt shop, joannes, or local guild & ask who is long-arm quilting in your area- that way you can visit that person, see some of his/her work & discuss policies, preparation, prices ect.
if you are unable to locate someone on your own there is a list here on the board of quilters- you can check the list- see if there is anyone in your area- browse the pictures-see some of the work different ones do & what you like- contact them & discuss what you need to do- everone has their own (policies/prices/turn over time)
some provide batting- some you need to include it, some include thread- some charge for it-some charge by the square inch-some charge by the project- some by time... start with locating a quilter- then ask questions- see their work- find out what you need to do. good luck...hopefully you will find a quilter you love that you can build a good working relationship with
Old 09-23-2012, 11:15 AM

Just so you won't be surprised, it is expensive, or at least I think it, but it is also hard work, so it can be rationalized, especially if you don't have time to do it yourself. Congratulations on getting accepted in a nursing program. That is such an important profession.

Dina
Old 09-23-2012, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
first start locally- visit the local quilt shop, joannes, or local guild & ask who is long-arm quilting in your area- that way you can visit that person, see some of his/her work & discuss policies, preparation, prices ect.
if you are unable to locate someone on your own there is a list here on the board of quilters- you can check the list- see if there is anyone in your area- browse the pictures-see some of the work different ones do & what you like- contact them & discuss what you need to do- everone has their own (policies/prices/turn over time)
some provide batting- some you need to include it, some include thread- some charge for it-some charge by the square inch-some charge by the project- some by time... start with locating a quilter- then ask questions- see their work- find out what you need to do. good luck...hopefully you will find a quilter you love that you can build a good working relationship with
I believe CKcowl has covered this question very well.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:32 PM

Where is the list of Quilters on the board?
Old 09-23-2012, 03:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by rageddy View Post
Where is the list of Quilters on the board?
Here's the list:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...s-t169702.html
Old 09-24-2012, 05:18 PM

Also, pretty please [this dates me, I know] get what you want and the LAQ is to do in writing including the price! Both you and the LAQ should have a copy for security sake.

I totally agree, go local whenever you can. It is much easier to choose your quilting design that way.

ali