Feeding my dog real food

Old 09-26-2012, 09:43 AM

I do not feed pork of any kind to my dogs.There is a parasite that lives on even if burnt to a crisp.We can process it but dogs can get sick and die. My 3 little dogs all love fruits and veggies.My 14 yr old min-pin Clem is still as rowdy an rambunctious as my 9 mo. old long haired chihuahua Turbo.They all get excited when I get out the soup pot.They know its for veggie soup and they get all the chopped goodies that fly off the cutting board and they will be getting soup for a few days. I still set out dry Pedigree so their diet is balanced.And the crunchy dry food keeps their teeth clean
Old 09-26-2012, 01:13 PM

We have weiner dogs who are quite spoiled. They get their dry food, but we also boil chicken, chicken livers, or beef with vegetables and season with onion and garlic and chili powder or other dry seasonings. Then we sprinkle in cornmeal or rice to thicken the stew. It smells wonderful! After it cools, they are allowed their choice of both stew and dry food. I guess we know which one they prefer!!! They also enjoy the pizza crusts that we bring home when we go out for pizza. They are very upset if we come home without their pizza treats!
Old 09-26-2012, 01:40 PM

I subscribe to Dr. Becker's newsletter. She is a holistic vet. and also has her own petfood cookbook. Her website is:

http://healthypets.mercola.com
Old 09-26-2012, 02:25 PM

I feed my dog Iams and also some of what I eat. She likes chicken and rice (which I cook for her) She likes peaches, apples, cooked green beans and carrots, and her Beggin strips as a treat. She's a chihuahua and is very healthly.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by ShabbyTabby View Post
I feed my dog Iams and also some of what I eat. She likes chicken and rice (which I cook for her) She likes peaches, apples, cooked green beans and carrots, and her Beggin strips as a treat. She's a chihuahua and is very healthly.
Please check the dog treat recalls, to see if Beggin strips was one of them. Just recently, a LOT of treats were found to be contaminated. :-(
Old 09-26-2012, 03:50 PM

I have always fed my dogs table food. My Golden Retriever, Jonathan passed away when he was 13 from "old" age and a problem with his hip. I used a little bit of Kibbles and bit's dog food (was the only one he would eat) and the rest was table food. Sampling of his meals included roasted chicken with carrots, meatloaf with stringbeans, meatballs with a little sauce. Every Sunday morning, he had two scrambled eggs, a slice of toast-buttered and a bowl of milk. In the summer when he was young, he would get a vanilla ice cream cone. Never fed him sweet potatoes, very, very little turkey as these foods were very gassy for him. He loved cheese, butter, etc.

He had a beautiful coat, no skin problems, good eyesight and teeth. When he was about 11, he had blood work done and the vet could not believe that his lab work was so normal. I told him I attributed it to the table food. I got Jonathan in 1989 and he passed away in 2002. I'm a firm believer in table food for my dogs. All were very healthy.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:19 PM

I am so pleased that I noticed your topic as only yesterday I posted this: http://www.quiltingboard.com/general...ml#post5543271 In the first post there is a link to what looks like a really good page for home made dog foods and I am seriously thinking of putting my Muffin on it. I know she just adores the "Liver Cake" (scroll down to near the bottom of the page) as one of my group makes it for her doggies and she treats Muffin when she makes it.

Oh yes as a person who used too breed dogs, many decades ago, Pork in any form is a big NO NO, it causes digestion problems.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:37 PM

I have 3 doggies and feed this way. One is sick, so he gets a Flintstones vitamin and a fish oil daily. They don't like them so I put them in his food and top it with yogurt or pumpkin. He has out lived predictions on life expectancy from 2 vets. I don't know why, but I do not question this. It is just good to have him.

They get raw or cooked veggies not laced with sauces. Some raw meat, if i give them cooked meat, i rinse it. They do not need the salt and garlic is a no no. They eat lots of fruits, strawberries, cantaloupe, cauliflower, beans and tomatoes. One likes lettuce, 2 like olives.

I encourage anyone to feed this way, even to supplement store bought food.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:07 PM

When I bought my GR (avatar), she was on a raw diet. The bones from raw chicken give them calcium. Anyway, after awhile, we switched to dry. But I continue to buy "NuPro" for her and her little sis. This is a supplement for dogs. They make one that helps with hips. I just add it to their dry food, but you can use to make what I called Meat Balls - chopped vegies, fruits, molasses, can't remember exactly into balls and put in frig. They loved them, too.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:10 PM
Power Poster

I am not sure about the ham because I read NO salt and oils. I did read dogs are omnivors and do need vegetables and fruit. Also cooked rice is good. We just got a new puppy and I offered her brussel sprouts today, raw. I know of a golden retriever that eats tons of carrot sticks and does well on it.

Last edited by Annaquilts; 09-26-2012 at 06:15 PM.