Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Popularity of hexagon quilts >

Popularity of hexagon quilts

Popularity of hexagon quilts

Old 08-12-2012, 03:17 PM

Just put the binding on my hexagon quilt. Turned out great. Used the half hexagon template and cut out pairs. Laid out my rows - matching pairs. Easy easy assembly - no y seams. No paper piecing was a snap.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:26 PM

I basted my first hexie near the end of May last year. I am using 1" hexies and am finally nearing completion. I also love the portablility of the hand pieced EPP which is how I did mine. With a seven year old boy and a four year old girl I am constantly running off to somewhere and I love that I can take with me while I wait for this class or that one to end. I printed off a template from the net onto cardstock and cut out my hexies. I am calling mine "Not Your Grandmother's Flower Garden". I even took basted hexies to Jamaica with me last spring and completed 12 flowers while sitting poolside.

Here's a picture although in order to get it a small enough file, the true colours don't show perfectly. The centre of each flower is black with next "circle" of six hexies a pastel and the next "circle" of hexies the same colour but a bright and the pathway is the same black as the centre of each flower.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	quilt.gif
Views:	2339
Size:	634.2 KB
ID:	355363  
Old 08-14-2012, 12:02 AM

that is going to be one beautiful quilt! I'm doing the same size, but scrappy. Yours looks to be bigger than mine. Looks like yours is king sized.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:22 AM

Wow, beautiful quilts! Any more info on what needles you all use?
Old 08-15-2012, 03:55 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by LuvCreams View Post
Wow, beautiful quilts! Any more info on what needles you all use?
we use normal hand sewing needles- i generally use sharps- sometimes an applique needle- John James & Roxannes are my choice (mainly because that is what is available at good prices in my area and they work well for me.
any sewing needle you like will work fine- you do not need anything special.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:27 PM

I just got a half hex template like Tartan suggested. Looks like a good way to make hexes.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by chairjogger View Post
I have done 2 traditional grandmothers garden quilts..crib size. Do you have other examples. This is great!
Jaynette Huff has a book called Quilts From Grandmothers Garden that has several quilts where she uses the nexus in creative ways. She does a good presentation if you ever have the chance to see her.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:52 AM

I use removable glue to baste my hexies. Fons and Porter glue sticks work great and staples has removable glue sticks. It makes basting so much faster.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:15 AM

I, too, have been bitten by the hexi bug. I follow Bonnie Hunter's blog, and she suggested finding a retired Creative Memories hexagon punch. I was fortunate to have found one to buy from a good friend who does scrapbooking and was willing to part with it. Been punching everything in sight to make my hexies (old flyers, political ads, cards inside magazines, etc.). They've been working GREAT although I'm feeling like I gained a bit of OCD. ha ha. The other thing I am finding is that the more I work on this quilt, the more obsessed I am becoming with it. It was SO much fun sitting down with hexi graph paper and planning my original quilt, and it seems to be evolving as I work on the thing. I do not leave the house without my bag!

One question I DO have is I wonder what type of bag you use for your paper piecing projects. I've been searching Amazon and can't seem to find one that really works for me.

Trina
Old 09-28-2012, 03:08 PM
Power Poster

One question I DO have is I wonder what type of bag you use for your paper piecing projects. I've been searching Amazon and can't seem to find one that really works for me.

Trina

make a bag of your own that works for you! the one i made is a small (tote style bag) it has a seperator pocket with a velcro closure that holds my paper pieces, one side for cut pieces of fabric- another pocket for finished hex's, i have a small tin that holds a wool felt needle book, embroidery scissors & pins- it fits into it's own pocket- elastic loops that hold a couple spools of thread, and a wide flat zippered pocket that holds finished blocks- it is about 14" high, 8" wide, with 4 sections, 3 pockets, 2 handles, and a velcro tab/button closure on top.
i also have a purchased (satchel) with numerous zippered clear plastic pockets, files envelopes and a zipper all the way around to carry larger projects, templates, ect- it was expensive- and although very handy at times it's a bit (over-kill) for my normal travel projects; i think it was originally made for scrap booking, or perhaps some other stitching work. but making your own ensures you cover your needs in a size that is handy for you