Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
For those that own new (made in last three years) TOL sewing machines: >

For those that own new (made in last three years) TOL sewing machines:

For those that own new (made in last three years) TOL sewing machines:

Old 09-29-2012, 10:48 AM
Banned

Wait--knee lift lever between your legs? How could it work that way? Personally, I position the knee lift lever on my Juki on the outside of my right leg just above my knee and push it to the right to lift my presser foot. To me it's the very most labor-saving device I've ever had on any machine. Next would be an automatic needle threader that actually works properly.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KyKaren1949 View Post
I have the Janome 6600 and love it. However, would someone from up above here explain how you use the Accufeed foot with the quarter inch foot??? I haven't been using the Accufeed foot to piece because of needed the 1/4 inch foot for seam control, so now I'm wondering what I'm missing. Please tell me how to do what you're doing.
First of all, you do not use your regular accufeed foot plus a 1/4" ... you purchase a special accufeed foot that has the 1/4" as part of it! Then all you do is change the regular AF (accufeed) over to the AF 1/4" and stitch as normal.

You can also get an AF-SITD foot to use when you do SITD!

If you don't have it, the special FMQ package of interchangeable feet are well worth the investment ... far better than using the darning foot. And another add-on is the blue dot bobbin case to switch in when doing FMQing. Both of these have helped me come to love FMQing with my 6600.

Good Luck!
Old 09-29-2012, 12:20 PM

I'm a new quilted so I should probably just keep my mouth shut but I'm not very good at that but here is what I have:
Bernina 820 QE - my favorite so far but cost the most, you get what you pay for tho. $5999 brand new. I love the threader, cutter, knee lift, this thing is by far the strongest out of my three machines. It will sew easily thru 8 layers of jeans just like it's a single layer of cotton. Not that anyone ever would need to sew thru 8 layers of jeans, just saying... This machine is my favorite so far in my quilting experiences.

Next up is my Janome 7700. This one is my husbands favorite because it is by far the quietest of the 3. Nice straight stitch. $1999 brand new, with the table and a free new little machine and box set of thread. Good bang for the buck. I enjoy sewing on this one. Auto threader, cutter, knee lift, and accu feed. It has slot of nice decorative stitches also. Nice machine.

Last but surely not least is my Husqavarna Sapphire Quilt. This was my first machine, very strong nice straight stitch. The only thing that I don't like about this machine is the grinding sound it makes, especially when it cuts, sounds slot like metal on metal. But they say this is normal, and the demo one made the same noise so does my moms. $2100 brand new, nothing free or thrown in on the deal. This one is not near as strong as my Janome and doesn't even come close to my Bernina. This one has slot of nice stitches also.

I guess out of these three brands, I am gonna say I am definitely a Bernina girl so far. I am in love with my Bernina, with that being said tho, I also like my other two, just not as much as my Bernina. I think my Bernina has spoiled me...
Old 09-29-2012, 12:26 PM

I totally agree...totally worth it...I do all of my own FMQ'ing with my 7700. It has paid for itsslf. I also do not use the single hole..No idea why I would. Its pieces just fine.
Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
As far as sewing (not embroidery) machines -- I have the Janome 7700. It was TOL for Janome when I bought it. I got it because of the large harp, the extra lights and the accufeed. The one thing I do not use is the single hole thingy that comes out for piecing (I piece mainly with the accufeed). I would buy a Janome again -- in fact I have bought the smaller 3160 to take to class. Janome is coming out with new machines so I understand that the 7700 being discontinued so it is available at a lower price.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:43 PM

I own a Bernina Series 8 model 820 machine & I love it. The auto needle threader works like a charm, it has a very large harp area (which was a priority for me). I am impressed with everything it does & the quality of the machine itself. The lighting is great, it has a bobbin 2-3x the size of most regular bobbins, so less filling.I was first quoted $8500. here in Canada & the dealer came down to $6500. + taxes (of course) so that's what I decided on. I also have a Juki straight stitch machine that is a real work horse - nothing fancy but it sure does work. I also have a Janome 350E embroidery only machine that I just bought so I have only played a little with it so far, but so far, so good.It really isn't the fact that any machine is TOL or not TOL, it is whatever you are looking for in a machine & of course, what you can comfortably afford.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:50 PM

For quilting, I have the jANOME 6600. Love all the features and costs less than the 7700. Difference in the two is 2 inches of harp space and lighting. I also purchased the 3160 Janome for class. I think it weighs only 12 lbs...and it has auto thread cutting jus like the 6600...can't piece without it.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:55 PM

you can buy the foot at the dealers...I use it to put on my binding...I have never thought of piecing with it. Why would you piece with the auccuffed since it is not thick material?
Originally Posted by KyKaren1949 View Post
I have the Janome 6600 and love it. However, would someone from up above here explain how you use the Accufeed foot with the quarter inch foot??? I haven't been using the Accufeed foot to piece because of needed the 1/4 inch foot for seam control, so now I'm wondering what I'm missing. Please tell me how to do what you're doing.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:15 PM

So glad I am not the only one who did not know what TOL is, but then I do not speak twitter or text either. I am still kicking and screaming on moving into the technilgical movement, just when you learn one thing it is obsolete and you have to start all over again on new and improved version, like my new cell phone - it is one yesar newer than old one and so much more difficult to use, but I guess I will learn it in time for new phone tocome out.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:43 PM

I have two Janomes, not TOL, and I love them both. Don't think I will ever buy a different brand.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by mhansen6 View Post
I have a Pfaff Creative 4.0. I absolutely love it.
It has a very large harp for FMQ.
It has a built in walking foot.
Thread Cutter and hundreds of stitches.
It has one really cool feature for chain piecing. When you stop to add the next piece the pressure foot will rise about an 1/8 of an inch so you can slide the next piece under the foot. Wonderful feature for quilters.
I have owned Pfaffs for 30 years and I love them. I would buy this machine again if I needed a new machine.
I just bought this same machine and so far I love it. I love the pivot foot, the IDT (dual feed or even feed foot), the large harp size for free motion, and the thread cutter. It also has the needle threader, needle up and down, and bright lights. Glad to hear you love your Pfaff. I have had Singer and Brother in the past and was worried about changing brands.