• Tea cup pincushion came home! >
  • Tea cup pincushion came home!

• Tea cup pincushion came home!

Old 09-30-2012, 05:17 AM

Glad to know your pincushion came home.
    Old 09-30-2012, 07:11 AM

Cool tea cup pincusion

Originally Posted by collady
    This morning I was getting ready to go to with DH to a flea market about an hour and half away. I picked up a bag of knitting and there was the pincushion in the bottom of the bag under some baby caps. I had decided that it had run away for ever but it came home. I had had a make-up quilting class on Thursday afternoon after my knitting class on Thursday morning. I had put the pincushion in the knitting bag when I took it from the car. I just didn't remember that I had taken it on Thursday! I would have found it next week when I got ready for the knitting class. Being an obsessive compulsive personality, I can't just ride in a car. I have to do something with my hands. The blue cup normally sits on my desk by my bed. The gold/white cup stays on the cutting table, and the pink on lives by the sewing machine.
    In the latest issue of sew news I saw a GREAT tip for making pincushions. Instead of messy sand or saw dust for the stuffing--use fine steel wool. Not messy and keeps the pins sharp. Where has this tip been all my life!!
    Old 09-30-2012, 07:21 AM

OMG! That blue cup is just like some I had. Fond memories. I got the whole set of dishes with S&H green stamps around 1975. I think I sold them at a garage sale back in the '80s because I got tired of blue. (But I still love blue so not sure what I was thinking) Love your pin cushions!
    Old 09-30-2012, 07:46 AM

Darling idea. I received severl cups and saucers from a favorite aunt. This will be a nice way to use them, and she'll be in my thoughts every time I look at them!
    Old 09-30-2012, 09:42 AM

Love your teacup pincushions. Can hardly wait for the tute. Do you glue the cup to the saucer?
    Old 09-30-2012, 09:44 AM

I have made a couple of the pincushion using the cup and saucers. I was lucky to find a couple of the cup and saucer sets with the saucer being larger to hold your cookies etc on it. I used these and they are wonderful to use in the sewing area. There is extra room for your other notions.
    Old 09-30-2012, 11:13 AM

Lovely teacups and a great idea to make use of the pretties. I have decided to do this with a few that I inherited --- going to use the florist clay that is waterproof to gob the cup to the saucer and then will make a snug cushion using wool roving to stuff it and probably use a bit of candle snugger wax to attach it to the cup. I think this way the cups will be usable for their original intent if desired down the road. At almost 60 I am trying to think of ways my family heirlooms might be useful as well as decorative and other people may repurpose them later. With glue I might be committing the cup to the trash bin as not everyone in the family sews.
    Old 09-30-2012, 11:25 AM

Love the use of a teacup as a pincushion! I have teacups from aunts on both sides of the family. The look pretty sitting in a cupboard...but it would be nice to have one out to use a pincushion too. Will have to decide which one to use, then wait for your tutorial. Thanks for doing one!
    Old 09-30-2012, 11:48 AM

I'm glad you found your teacup pincushion. I also have to keep my hands busy or I read. Looking forward to your tute.
    Old 09-30-2012, 12:48 PM

LOVE all three of them. Glad you found the one you were missing. I will also be watching for your tutorial as I would love to make a couple of them. They look so very elegant. Thanks for sharing.