Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine Problems >

Machine Problems

Machine Problems

Old 10-05-2012, 07:52 PM

Default Machine Problems

I have a Singer Advance as I was sewing along I broke a needle I do not know why I didn't have any pins are anything to hit. My machine was working fine untill then. I changed needles and when I start sewing it grabs the material and makes a big mess so I cleaned the bobbin area, changed the needle again checked to make sure threaded correctlytried again same problem I have also tried diffrent threads making sure to use same thread in bobbin and on top. Now I can get the machine to sew about 10 stiches then it makes a big mess on bottom and I can bearly get the fabric off the machine. Do you have any more suggestions as to what might be wrong and how to fix it.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:05 PM
Power Poster

It sounds like the broken needle threw the timing off. I believe Singers are especially susceptible to this. Your machine may need a trip to the sewing machine doctor.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:45 PM
Power Poster

Yes it does sound like you've messed up the timing. If you've changed needle, changed bobbin, thread, cleaned, oiled, I think you might have to take it in for a check-up.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:41 AM
Power Poster

yes, it may have thrown off the timing. but it also may have caused a burr, or rough spot, on the needle hole in the plate or on the bobbin casing. make sure those are smooth. in years long ago, i've fixed mine by using an emery cloth to sand it smooth.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

All I can think of is to check the bobbin and the bobbin area very carefully to see if there is any stuck thread. Also check tension disks. See if you can identify where the thread is getting hung up or stuck. So sorry this happened on a weekend - much harder to get help.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:53 AM
Power Poster

Yes, I forgot about the burr possibility. A broken needle can cause a nick in the needle plate or bobbin casing where thread can catch. Definitely check that out before resorting to shop.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:53 PM

You may want to be sure theres not a small piece of needle down in the bobbin casing lodged just out of sight just enough to cause a mess.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:15 PM

I had the same issue today...I was sewing a lot of flannel thing morning and the lint got under the bobbin case. once i cleanned it. I carefully tried my needle in the doen posiyion and it worked.