Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How do you feel about entering quilts in to local fairs? >
  • How do you feel about entering quilts in to local fairs?

• How do you feel about entering quilts in to local fairs?

Old 10-06-2012, 12:15 PM

Default How do you feel about entering quilts in to local fairs?

A friend of mine and I entered our quilts and quilted wall hanging in to the local Fair. It is a small fair but does have all the trimings of a fair. Livestock, home goods and crafts, 4-H and even a crash derby. Just a small town fair.

My friend and I both won ribbons for our entries. Now we are not talking big judged quilt show or anything like that but we won and are excited about it ......Till! One of the ladies from a guild we know just thinks that is was beneath us to enter anything in to a fair! She really Poo-Pooed on our parade.

So, my question is "How do you all feel about entering quilts in a local fair?"
    Old 10-06-2012, 12:17 PM

lots of people enter their quilts in local fairs. Are the Quilt Police at it again. Poo Poo one them. Congratulations it may lead to bigger and better things.
    Old 10-06-2012, 12:20 PM

I've never entered anything at a fair only because it has never been convenient. However, I would be oh so proud to have won a ribbon! I don't understand why it would be beneath anyone to enter their creations. JMHO
    Old 10-06-2012, 12:22 PM

Yes, as to leading to bigger, better things, it's a great way to build your portfolio. Having any ribbons or awards puts you ahead. Congrats on the ribbon, don't let anyone rain on your parade!
    Old 10-06-2012, 12:23 PM

I've entered my quilts in the local fair, and it was fun. Don't let any one put down your achievement!

Janet
    Old 10-06-2012, 12:27 PM

Well phooey on the Quilt Police!!! I have never heard of anything like that around here. Wining at a fair is celebrated here.

Dina
    Old 10-06-2012, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Phannie1
    A friend of mine and I entered our quilts and quilted wall hanging in to the local Fair. It is a small fair but does have all the trimings of a fair. Livestock, home goods and crafts, 4-H and even a crash derby. Just a small town fair.

My friend and I both won ribbons for our entries. Now we are not talking big judged quilt show or anything like that but we won and are excited about it ......Till! One of the ladies from a guild we know just thinks that is was beneath us to enter anything in to a fair! She really Poo-Pooed on our parade.

So, my question is "How do you all feel about entering quilts in a local fair?"
    If you want other people to see your work, fine. But the judges know next to nothing about quilting-----------they're chosen for who they are, not what they know. So if you are looking for a fair critique------------don't enter quilts here.
    Old 10-06-2012, 12:43 PM
    Power Poster

i've been entering quilts in the fair for years- it is fun, i enjoy going in & looking at other entries (even vote for one once in a while) it is all in fun- not a juried show- and should not be looked down upon by anyone- our area has a huge guild & very few members would consider such a thing- but i grew up with 4-H and the spirit of the fair. it is pretty normal for almost all entries to win a ribbon of some sort- nothing wrong with that either- just ignore the *uppity* minded who think they are so far above that- it is sad people have to be so negative about things like this- what does it matter if the farmer's wife was the one *judging* passing out the ribbons?
    the fair is a fun time.
    Old 10-06-2012, 12:52 PM

I usually enter at least one in our county fair and have won several ribbons, not only for my quilts, but for counted cross stitch and photography. It's fun--if I win a ribbon, that's great--if not, I still have fun showing off my things. And I enjoy looking at all the other entries.
    Old 10-06-2012, 12:53 PM

I haven't entered any quilts because mine leave the house as soon as they are finished, but entering apparel was fun. I used to win enough cash to buy at least one pair of school shoes for one of my children. I was put off because I was marked down because the thread used to overcast a seam that might ravel wasn't the same shade of green as the suit or the rest of the thread. It would never show, for heaven's sake. But it was still fun to enter and go check on the ribbons. Enjoy yours.