Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Passage Quilts....who does them >

Passage Quilts....who does them

Passage Quilts....who does them

Old 10-08-2012, 05:13 AM

I have heard of these quilts, but I heard them called "cutter quilts", don't know if there is a difference.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Mornigstar View Post
I made a reversible one 2 yrs ago. Had female side and male side implied. For me the understanding was the
funeral director uses it to cover the body bag when bringing body from a private home to the auto or in our local area
where they have to walk down a hall and the other residents get to see a quilt covering the deceased rather than bag
which I am told can upset some of them very much. The quilt is kept by mortuary so no family squabbles .
I was pleased to donate the quilt -sizes given to me to be sure to cover guerney but not drag. Used here for a female neighbor and have heard some happy results in other cities. My friend told me about them because she saw
one elderly man walk to her brothers bag and say goodbye to him. The caregivers said usually the clients are
upset and restless after a death but not if they see the quilt. I think it helps pay respect.
Wow. I never would have thought of this. I think it's a great idea.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by rj.neihart View Post
I have heard of these quilts, but I heard them called "cutter quilts", don't know if there is a difference.
My experience with the term 'cutter quilts' is that these are old, worn out quilts that have damaged areas that are too big to repair. They are then cut up and made into toys, dolls, or other small items.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:02 AM

Good morning. I make them a lot. I have made them before and after they pass. The last one was for a friend that was passing and I made his wife one so he could lay with of before he passed and she would have a great memory of him with his quilt. I also had enough that I made is grandaughter one too.

Trust me that are a wonderful gift to give someone. You don't have to have a lot of their cloths, you can always get a few and build out from their.

Dawn in Waco
Old 10-08-2012, 06:35 AM

I have often thought that I would like to make a "casket quilt" sort of a sampler quilt.... I attended a funeral where many of this lady's quilts were displayed and it was very nice and very soothing. You know how everyone displays pictures and does videos at funeral....well, I just hate the thought of anyone doing that at my service.....and I have said so. So.....I thought that a casket quilt would be like my picture board....those who know me would recognize me and parts of my life in the quilt.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:49 AM

I'm a part of a very carring prayer and share group. When we hear of a illness we make a quilt and give it to the person, hoping that they can receive warmth and comfort knowing that people are praying for them. It doesn't have to be a terminal illness. We have made many quilts for ladies that have MS and illness of that nature. It gives us pleasure as well. Our goal is to have some made ahead, but that never seems to happen.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:52 AM

The only one from hospice I've seen was one for the person to be covered with in the casket. giving it to them before I think would be the best, so they could see it.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Bneighbor View Post
My niece lost her baby 2 years ago, passing just days before his due date. They were going to bury him in just a t shirt and diaper...I said no no. I made a very sweet gown made of blue satin and white lace . Embroidered his name and birth date. I made a matching casket cover that my niece kept. Then funeral home thought it was a very touching gift. I have since made 3 burial gowns and donated them to the funeral home...no one should bury their baby in just a blanket if I can help it.
I must say the thought of burying that precious little one in just a t-shirt and diaper brought tears to my eyes...thank you for being gracious enough to take the time to do this for him...
Old 10-08-2012, 02:31 PM

Our quilt group makes bed runners to be used on the patient's bed and after they have passed it is given to the family.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees View Post
Who has made Passage Quilts in the past ?????
I first heard about them here on the board yesterday and since and done some searching on the internet....there seems to be a couple different 'forms' of this concept.

One was making quilts out of the deceased persons clothing and then presenting the quilt to the surviving family.

Another was that a quilt was used to cover the body for the trip to the mortuary, the cover the casket and then be presented to the family.

The last one was that the quilter worked with a local Hospice, the quilt was given while the patient was still alive and was allowed to use during their final days, then presented to the family......

I personally like the last one, and have contacted my local Hospice (didn't even know we had one until I 'googled') asking them if they have such a program.....

I know we had a thread on here not to long ago about a casket quilt.....I am thinking this would just take it so many more steps forward.....to give comfort to the living and then to those left behind.....

I am not thinking 'Large Quilts' but more like lap size, many even some prayer shawls would be nice.....

Am anxious to here your opinions, I know this is kinda a morbid subject, but I think a very worthy cause, and feel the comfort level would be great......
Our quilt guild, Cactus Sewables in Yucca Valley, have our 2 local hospices in our outreach program. We make quilts, pillowcases and "dammit dolls" that we donate every month. If you have VNA (Visiting Nurses Inland Empire) check with them. That is one we donate to and they are very appreciative!