Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What exactly is Secret Santa?? >

What exactly is Secret Santa??

What exactly is Secret Santa??

Old 10-14-2012, 07:43 AM

Default What exactly is Secret Santa??

I'm just a old Jewish lady and don't know from Santa (secret or otherwise) but since i do love to quilt and love presents, can I play too! But I need someone to splain it to me (as Ricky riccardo used to say). I read about gifts of $20 or less, fat quarters, homemade stuff, and even cookies???? What exactly do we send????
Old 10-14-2012, 08:15 AM

The Secret Santa is closed for this year. I've joined for the first time so I might not be the best one to "splain." My understanding is you send 4 fat quarters, a gift that you spend $20 on and anything you might like to pass on from your own goodies. Chocolate and baked goods seem to be popular. Also many folks appear to send something homemade as well. If I've erred, someone will add to this. I found out about it last year like you did this year...too late. But I watched for the postings about it this year. You can follow the link and see how much fun so many quilters have with it.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:20 AM
Power Poster

A Secret Santa is someone who sends you gift(s) anonymously, then eventually reveals their name to you. There are various ways you can 'play'. Often, you draw names in a church/school/work group and then purchase or make small gifts over the course of several weeks before the holiday, or sometimes over the course of a year. You leave the gift somewhere where the recipient will find it, or mail it with no return address to preserve the mystery. Typically, the gifts are very small in value. At the end, you reveal your name, often at a holiday party.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:52 AM

I think Louise may have misunderstood the concept of food being sent to your secret santa. My understanding was NO FOOD. People have sent fabric/sewn items that look like food...example make a ear of corn out of fabric if that is what you think your secret santa would like. Sorry you missed it this year, try for next year....it will be fun and your sure to have something quilting related during the holidays.