Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric  shop question >

Fabric shop question

Fabric shop question

Old 10-15-2012, 05:55 AM

I rarely purchase from JoAnns. I find the thinner fabrics to be a dissapointment. There have been some bolts with a thicker fabric. When I need to make a lower cost quilt I go to Thousands of Bolts. Most are under $5.00 , batiks are more and its better manufactures and higher quality. They have great service.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:04 AM

I do buy some fabric at JoAnn's but only with a coupon or big sale. I agree with just make sure you like the feel of it. I prefer Hobby Lobby, they have a limited selection but always have a 40% off coupon and you can print all you want off the internet. Have you thought about some of the online stores? Connecting Threads has good prices and good generous kits. They also have clearance kits and free shipping for a $50 order. Maybe do a small order and see if you like the fabric. There are other online shops as well but CT just comes to mind right now.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:23 AM

Joanns has several lines of their designer fabric that I had bought from the original company, Makower, who printed the design. The fabric now says Joanns in the selvage but it is exactly the same print, colors, etc. So I would say, if it makes you happy and has a good feel and look, go for it.

Even LQS fabric can have issues. I have mentioned before that the Moda line I bought and used raveled so badly that I am not sure it will last thru the quilting. Very thin although the colors and design are lovely.

Try not to be a quilt snob
Old 10-15-2012, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Gramie bj View Post
I use Joann fabric a lot. LOL Like Buckeye Rose my closes Joann's is a long ways away, 120 miles, one way, so I only go once a month, on my guild night's. I know it is a long trip but it is the closest chain store that sells fabric, and the closest quilt guild for me. I too use lots of coupons and try to only buy with coupons or if it is on sale. I have never had a bad experance with them. I have picked up a couple of bleeders but I always pre wash so that is not a big problem, they only blead in the first wash. You do need to keep an eye on there fabric, I have seen some thin stuff but I just bypass it. I envy you members that have places like Hobby Lobby, Hancocks, ect. close to you. I do have 3 LQS within a 1 hr drive from me, one to the west, and two to the south. All great shops good selection but with my budget I just can not pay $12 plus per yard.
you do realize that the money you will spend on gas to drive that 120 miles one way ( 250 round trip )!!!! you can ''justify'' shopping a local store and altho you will pay more per yard than at JoAnns, you will be saving money in the long run. If I am looking for neutrals, I will have them cut 6 inches or so, from 6 different fabrics and still only pay for one yard....you can make the shopping experience last a long time doing it that way and not just buying a yard of this and a yard of that fabric. I am about 45 minutes from Joanns, Hobby Lobby and Hancocks as well as a lot of LQS in the Kansas City area that charge a lot less than the LQS store in my city but I justify her prices because it will take me about 3 gallons of gas for a round trip or about 12.00......
Old 10-15-2012, 10:23 AM

I buy from them, Hancock Fabrics, Fabric Hut and even Walmarts if it is what I want and the quality is there. I'm practicing on organza now so don't you know I headed to Walmarts to get cheaper fabric for this. Use coupons when I can; especilly at Hancocks, 1st 3 Wednesdays I get a 15% discount on top of all coupons or sale items.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
I buy from them, Hancock Fabrics, Fabric Hut and even Walmarts if it is what I want and the quality is there. I'm practicing on organza now so don't you know I headed to Walmarts to get cheaper fabric for this. Use coupons when I can; especilly at Hancocks, 1st 3 Wednesdays I get a 15% discount on top of all coupons or sale items.
HEHE..there are some benefits from getting old!!
Old 10-16-2012, 03:41 AM

I always use coupons when I buy. They also have some cool coupon codes + super cheap shipping nowadays (I speak about Joann Fabrics). This code JDF294 is to get $2.95 shipping rate for all orders from Joann Fabrics until 20 October 2012. Hope it helps!
Old 10-16-2012, 03:46 AM

Don't buy quilting cottons at Joanns...inferior quality. I'm lucky and work at a LQS that is only 3 miles from my house...I get the employee discount. Besides, the nearest Joanns is over an hour away.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:04 AM

I too buy at Joann's when fabrics are on sale or I have coupons. I rarely, if ever, purchase from them unless I can get at least 40% off. Some of their fabrics are just as high quality as LQS, and they have a different selection. That being said, if I want something really special, I go straight to my LQS! They have wonderful fabrics and GREAT service. They've even started offering a coupon once a month that is good for 20 - 30% a cut of fabric, a book or pattern, or thread. I almost always use mine and never have any trouble finding fabrics there that I just love. If I need a special color they'll even order it in for me and usually have it within a week. A couple of times I've bought full bolts and they have given me 20% off. They also sell and service lots of brands of machines. As you can tell, I really like the folks at the LQS. It's a family business in its third generation now.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:10 AM

IMO, buy what you can afford. Feel the fabric. I have bought excellent fabric at Joann's and crummy fabric at a LQS. And the other way around also. Years ago I was going to a sampler class and they give you just enough fabric to make a block and no room for errors. Well, after going back a few times and begging for a scrap of fabric, I decided to go to Wal-Mart and buy a fat quarter bundle. I believe it was 8 fq for $5. Used that for practice blocks. Wound up with enough practice blocks that I made a quilt, backed with fleece, for the kids play room. This was about 10 years ago and it's still in great shape. It gets tossed around, dragged on floor, one son even took it camping with him.

So, just look and feel the fabric - that's the best thing about shopping for fabric anyway!

Here's a website for excellent fabric: http://www.marshalldrygoods.com/
I have never bought online from them, but have been in their store. It's well worth a detour through Batesville, Arkansas to buy from them. Just make sure you have time to just browse! My DH needed to go to Arkansas and took me with him and made the detour through there. He found a nice bench to sit on.