Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt guild??? >

Quilt guild???

Quilt guild???

Old 10-16-2012, 05:21 AM

Go to the meeting. I know the guild I belong to, the treasurer will put money, checks into the bank after the monthly meeting. They also collect the mail once a month from the po box. Go and introduce youself to the membership person. My first meeting I just intro myself and sat with a group of quilters that welcomed me. Before the meeting ended, the president and several members welcomed me and asked what I enjoyed quilting. Go, Go, Go.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:41 AM

If they meet monthly or bi-monthly they may have to give the check to the treasurer at the meeting and then she would deposit afterwards. I belonged to many fraternal organizations in Canada and many times it was up to six weeks for a cheque to clear. I have found this board more beneficial than my guild except for the Secret Sister aspect of the guild.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Batya E. View Post
I also emailed our local guild, and received no reply. I think it is rude.
I agree, before we moved to this area I did the same thing and never heard a word...I went to a meeting along with a newly made quilting friend when I got here and have been a member ever since..I so look forward to the monthly meetings and love all the presenters and opportunity for classes etc.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:06 AM

Just go to the meeting. Once you pay your dues, you are a member. Some guilds have a place to sign in at a check-in table, and others do not. Just tell them you are a new member and sent your application in and dues a few weeks ago. If there is a check in, the person there can answer your questions. They will probably have your membership card there or will be giving it out when they give the membership directory out to members (directories are usually distributed after printing so it is usually October or November for guilds that membership renewal is in September). Whomever you sit near at the meeting can be a great help in making you familiar with guild activities, etc., including when membership cards are given out. I belong to a few guilds, and they do not contact the members after receiving the application and payment. So just go to the meeting.
Helen
Old 10-16-2012, 06:10 AM

Everyone who is an officer in a quilt guild is busy, busy, busy and while they ought to be doing their officer jobs, they probably also have families, jobs outside their homes, etc. And the one who is in the spot that should have answered you may be just plain incompetent. Whatever the reason, go to the meeting and try to use your inexhaustible supply of patience when you introduce yourself in person. froggyintexas
Old 10-16-2012, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Tashana View Post
I was contemplating becoming a member of the local quilt guild. Three weeks ago I sent them an e-mail as well as application and membership payment by snail mail. I heard nothing from them. Don't get me wrong, QB is great, but I would like to be a part of guild as well since no one I know quilts. Today is their meeting. What do I do? Can I just show up? I hope there are some experienced guild members here that can tell me if that would be OK. I am a patient person, but three weeks is a long time not to reply to an e-mail. What do you think?
If it is like my local guild, the mail goes to a box that the VOLUNTEER Corresponding Secretary (who also works for a living) goes at most once a week to and gets the mail. Sorts it and gives the mail to the person it should go to. And, the membership stuff goes to another person. The members of the board see each other at the monthly meeting and at the Board meeting. GO to the meeting. ASK if they got your form and check. The leadership jobs are all volunteers who have lives and families and so you really need to give them a BREAK!
Old 10-16-2012, 06:20 AM

In the past, we have had issues with timely check deposits. I now pay in person in cash so I know they received the $$.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:03 AM

I can't wait to hear how it turned out...did you go??
Old 10-16-2012, 07:29 AM

Go to the meeting. Visitors are welcome. Maybe there will be a small group you can join to help meet some people.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:45 AM

Show up and introduce yourself. Find the secretary or learder of the guild and inquire about your membership and fee. Then enjoy yourself. I and many on the board are members of at least one quilt guild. I love the board but sometimes I just need a face-to-face quilter also.