Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Must haves for newbie quilter >

Must haves for newbie quilter

Must haves for newbie quilter

Old 10-18-2012, 08:31 AM

I think the most important thing is to buy the best tools you can afford, you don't need everything out there "to begin with". A rotary cutter, mat, creative grids 18 1/2 inch ruler and a square up 12 1/2 inch are must haves.
Welcome to the board and quilting.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:54 AM

It looks like you have plenty of great suggestions for starting, so I have nothing to add to them, just want to say welcome to a great adiction. (and it really is..smile) you are on the way to a wonderful way to create, share and spend time doing something so great. I started 2 years ago and I am 77 now and the only regret I have is that it took so long to get started. Happy quilting.............
Old 10-18-2012, 10:01 AM

Welcome from Michigan. I'd like to add a few thoughts about one of the vital pieces of equipment that you have-- your sewing machine. I'd find it hard to be a quilter without one -- although some folks are. Don't forget to use your machine's manual along with the brush and other tools that came with it to keep your machine clean and oiled if the manual so instructs. You will save yourself lots of money and time if you do, both of which can be spent on more fabric!
Old 10-18-2012, 10:13 AM

I love this thread! I'm also very much a quilting newbie and just by reading here, I've managed to add many things to my wishlist and must-have-right-this-minute!! list.

The measuring portion of any sewing is always the part I hate - I wish I would have known about more of these neat rulers (especially that shape-cutter one) before I cut and pieced my current quilt top. It would have saved a lot of frustration!

I also keep seeing a ruler to "square up" the quilt. Is this to help square up the fabric/yards or do you use it on the actual quilt? Because, forgive my ignorance, it seems like your quilt would already be fairly squared up in the corners? I struggle with getting my fabric yards/half yards/etc squared up, so if that ruler helps with that, I would love it!
Old 10-18-2012, 10:18 AM

I love my QIAD Triangle square-up rulers!
Old 10-18-2012, 12:41 PM

Welcome to this great board. Have fun quilting!
Old 10-18-2012, 01:04 PM

This is a great thread. I am also new to quilting. Still working on my first quilt which is completely hand-sewn. I never knew what to start with purchasing because of all the choices so I figured okay my grandmother didn't have anything but scissors and needle and thread (not even a machine). I do have a machine buried deep in a closet that I plan to unearth for my next project. Now, after reading this thread I have some ideas for basic supplies beyond the hand me down rotary cutter and 6 1/2 inch square ruler. Large self-healing cutting mat is going to be my first purchase! Thanks for all the feedback given it really has been a great help.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:00 PM

I agree a good rotary cutter and cutting mat are essential. My first ruler was my 6"x24". Try to stay with the same brand of rulers when you buy them . For example omigrid are great. Not all rulers measure the same. Ask me how I know! My next favorite ruler is the 6"x12. I use this one all the time. My next purchase were the square rulers. I bought the 121/2" square and the 6 " square. A good seam ripper. I like the clover one, a small pair of snips or scissors for sewing. Good quality basting pins. Fine quilting pins for pining your pieces together. I also use 505 spray basting spray. Now that being said one of our members recommended Elmers School glue.i used this with great success. No more spray smell, and so much cheaper! I tried use school glue from the Dollar store. Not so successful! Tried too hard and lumpy. Really the big ruler, rotary cutter,cutting mat, pins, and scissors is all you really need to get started. It's all I had for a long time. Welcome to the board. Look forward to seeing your first project. Remember we all started out as newbies!
Old 10-18-2012, 03:54 PM

To the tools that many have listed I would like to recommend that you take advantage of the many free videos that teach techniques to all of us. One of my favorites are the Missouri Star Quilt Company lessons posted on YouTube. Just google it and you'll have a great time learning new things.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:32 PM

I know you asked about equipment, but I would take at least one quilting class. You will learn so many things and will get a better idea of what you will need to get started. I have pretty much the basics and can do what ever quilt I like. Happy quilting!!