Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you keep by your sewing machine? >

What do you keep by your sewing machine?

What do you keep by your sewing machine?

Old 10-14-2009, 02:11 AM

AtHomeSewing...what a great idea! I am going to try to find one of those!
Old 10-14-2009, 01:13 PM

I also have a snack table next to my machine I covered it with batting and silver ironing board material with a small iron am ready to iron seams
Old 10-14-2009, 01:59 PM

I keep as much as possible within reach. I have a vinal covered 2'x4' pressed board on top of 2 2-drawer file cabinets (these are great for patterns and projects on paper). On this I keep my sewing machine, small lamp, several cutglass jars with pencils, scissors, all kinds of tools, and several small baskets with threads.

There are 2 cork boards on the corner wall behind me and a 5 shelf tower for my button box, sewing basket, cd player, etc. I have many on-going projects in this small room and plenty of fabric everywhere but not within reach.

Do you think this is overkill?
Old 10-14-2009, 02:09 PM

I have drawers in the sewing table and it sits alongside a treadle sewing machine so if I need something it is there. Love the little fiskers with the upturned point as they are so handy. Had them in the living room today and they must have gone under the sofa--what else is new?
Old 10-14-2009, 03:32 PM

What I did was make a thing with pockets to place my sewing stuff in. I made it the width of how long my sewing machine is. Then I made the length long enough to fold over to make the pockets. Remember the pockets don't need to be that deep. I believe I made 6-7 of these pockets. In one I have my clippers, another pencils, another stitch ripper, another small sewing scissors, another short little rulers and lastly my rotary cutter. I love it because everything is at my finger tips just beneath my sewing machine. Easy to grap and put back. Oh it is keep in place by placing your sewing machine over the other end. Just make sure it is long enough to go under the machine, hand down a bit and to make the pockets.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:44 PM
Power Poster

I have scissors, pins, pin cushion, and extra thread. My machine is close to my computer so I have my music there too.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:41 PM

I also use something similar to the flatware caddy, It is a wood desk organizer,I got it at Ikea in the office supplies. It has 3 little cubbies in the front and a long one on the back that will hold rulers, books, etc.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:13 PM

Wow! We're all so organized! LOL I bought a heavy fabric placemat at the dollar store. I'm going to take that and make something with pockets like funnygirl posted.

I'll have to post a pic when I'm done.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:08 PM

I have a very old, huge office desk that I could fit 4 machines on the top if I wanted. It sits in a corner and on the wall beside me to my right I have an old magnetic strip mounted to the wall that used to hold kitchen knives, but it now holds scissors, stitch ripper, a calculator(with a magnet on the back) pen, mechanical pencil etc...you get the idea. above that I have a corner shelf that holds a t.v and dvd. on the wall behind the desk, I have a number of shelves holding fabric, fusable webbing, a basket for scraps. another shelf holds magazines and books and patterns. mounted to the underside of the shelf I have a couple of haolgen lights, and on the wall under these shelves I have a nice big corkboard to pin the project I am working on. I always photocopy pattern instruction from magazines and books so that I can just look up and see what to do next.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:26 AM

I have a Horn Cabinet for my sewing machine, so my machine sits comfortable at table level. I have lots of drawers to the left of my cabinet that stores my screw driver to change my feet and needles. My different machine needles, marking tools, brush and tweezers. The second drawer is filled with things such as my machine quilting gloves, my little tin container I use for keeping my quilters safety pins, my collection of chewy candy (I'm a sucker for chewy/jube jube candy)!!

The bottom drawer houses a bit pull out container where I can keep some UFOs. Right now my Crumb Quilt is living there.

To my right is another part of my horn cabinet. On that table is my little caddy that holds my scissors, little rulers, a pen and pencil and other odds and bobs. I also keep a note pad there to jot down ideas. I have a calculator at hand to do quick measurements and to figure out how many strips I need to cut of a particular fabric. I also keep my tea or water or juice there. No red wine for me for a while yet. We are 11 weeks preggy!!!! So please have a drink for me now and then!!!

I also have right next to my machine my little tidy bag that I throw my little snippets and threads into, my pin cushion, thread scissors and seam ripper.

hmmmm yeah i think that about does it! :)

Cheers