Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What was your biggest waste of money? >

What was your biggest waste of money?

What was your biggest waste of money?

Old 10-21-2012, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
I have typhe clover needle threader and love it. I have used ut with all kinds of needles. I have to make sure that the thread isnt too thick for the eye.
I have the clover needle threader and sometimes it works great...even with a relatively thick (e.g., perle) thread into a tiny quilting needle (i my try to load up several needles at once). Other times it is temperamental. Definitely worth a try because when it cooperates it is the best thing since sliced bread.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:04 PM

Wow, I can't believe the people who aren't enamored with the super slider and the pounce. I use the pounce on regular stencils and it sure does come in handy. Although it does look like a cocaine den when I'm done, but I get the one that irons off. The super slider has saved me when it comes to FM anything on my regular sewing machine.

I guess I'd have to say specialty rules as well would be something I would have to take a second look at, I have so many and don't use half of them, but they're so cool when you see them work.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
The supreme slider, just doesn't work for me. A waste of money.
Ditto, and I managed to sew it to my quilt too!
Annie
Old 10-22-2012, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Pds View Post
A gadget to sharpen my old rotary blades. It never ever worked, and in fact, appeared to make them worst. Don't fall for the "hype".
Me too, and I was daft enough to blame myself for not doing it properly.
Annie
Old 10-22-2012, 12:53 PM

[QUOTE=Jamiestitcher62;5604379]Wow, I can't believe the people who aren't enamored with the super slider and the pounce. I use the pounce on regular stencils and it sure does come in handy. Although it does look like a cocaine den when I'm done, but I get the one that irons off. The super slider has saved me when it comes to FM anything on my regular sewing machine.

I recently got the pounce but haven't tried it yet. I've yearned for the super slider for a while but don't have it.
Has anyone tried those little doodads that go on your bobbin for fmq? I've been wanting those too. Do they help?
Old 10-22-2012, 01:55 PM

I stay away from specialized rulers. That being said, I did buy one that is actually easy to use, but have not used it yet. It's been a year. I guess that tells my something. My friend bought one at the same time I did. We need to set a date to play with it.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:26 PM

I have started using my accuquilt go some...it's not the waste of money I thought it was. I'm making a lot of strips (2-1/2" wide) for some baby quilts. For that it's saved time. I am going to use it for some fused applique dish towels also...as soon as these baby quilts are done.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Debra Mc View Post
Mine was a Grace quilting frame. Cost over $500.00 & got it on sale as they are a lot more. Have a Babylock Quilter's Choice Professionel machine & they don't like each other. Can't seem to get the rhytum down to make machine work right. Can work faster with machine off the frame. Was an expensive lesson.
I agree 100%. I bought a stitch regulator with mine and the company had installed the wrong computer chip. I had a Baby Lock and they sent one for a Janome. It took me many months, lots of ruined fabric and total frustration to figure it out. Luckily, the dealer I bought it from allowed me to trade for another Baby Lock, which I love.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:23 PM

I totally agree with the embroidery software being outrageously expensive!! The only one I have found that is reasonable is Embird. It is affordable and the upgrades are very very inexpensive, last one was $20! I am still running embroidery software from HV that is 3 systems behind the current one. I refused to spend hundreds of dollars more to upgrade. Embird gives me all I need and was so inexpensive to purchase. N/A with Embird just truly love this program for embroidery/editing etc.

Originally Posted by jitkaau View Post
Quilt and embroidery software.The companies change their operating systems very quickly and render the expensive programs useless unless you pay an extra $1500 to upgrade.No one has that sort of money and my belief is that you should be able to use a program at the level you bought it at for as long as you want. Of course this conflicts with the enterprise idea.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:34 PM

I would like to say thank you to everyone for their responses on this subject! You all have helped me save many $$$$!!! I have read thru all the postings and thought about each response. I have realized that I have spent way too much money on magazines, books and a few gadgets!! Now I ask myself if I really need the latest and greatest or can I do without it. I am truly amazed at how many things I have recently decided aren't necessary!! The only things I think are important now are fabic and thread!! As long as I have enough fabric and threads I am one very happy quilter!!
Thanks everyone, I think this has been one of the best questions on the board since I joined!!