Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
SCANT 1/4 INCH IS MAKING ME CRAZY >

SCANT 1/4 INCH IS MAKING ME CRAZY

SCANT 1/4 INCH IS MAKING ME CRAZY

Old 10-25-2010, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by amma
I wish they would make a scant 1/4" foot!
I use my 1/4" foot and move the needle one click to the right :D:D:D
The only machine company that makes one that I know of is
Bernina. Its the #37 foot.
I wish Viking made one. Most of the time I just move my needle over. I have the regular zig zag foot and zig zag plate on.
Pfaff makes both the 1/4 inch foot and the one with the blade. Both cost $25. reason for two is one came out first and then the blade one came out.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
The 1/4" foot is NOT the issue and typically it's not the pattern either. You will have to move the needle position based on fabric and thread thickness as mentioned before. I have to move my needle when working with flannels(thicker) and the different brands and weights also affect the seam allowance. It's always best to do a test run of the fabrics you're using with the thread and move your needle over if need be. Usually I don't have to move my needle at all if I'm using LQS fabric with Aurifil 50 wt. thread. But, if I change any of those, I do a sample.
I agree with Candace...make a sample and move the needle accordingly.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:58 PM

just HOW scant is this scant 1/4"?? Is it 2 or 3 threads or is it a 32nd of an inch, or is it.....??
Not good to leave something open to individual interpretation. On the older machines, the needle is fixed at the end of the shank, period.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by postal packin' mama
just HOW scant is this scant 1/4"?? Is it 2 or 3 threads or is it a 32nd of an inch, or is it.....??
Not good to leave something open to individual interpretation. On the older machines, the needle is fixed at the end of the shank, period.
With an older machine, with a fixed needle, you simply need the sewing guide that often came with the machine, you measure over from the needle to 1/4 inch and set the guide, a scant 1/4 inch includes the stitches. Test after you set to make sure it is that measurement, and then from time to time (if you leave it on) just make sure the screw is tight. Most of the older
Singers have holes prethreaded for a screw to attach these, if you dont, there are also ones that are magnetic as long as the bed will attract a magnet, if not you are left with a piece or two of tape that is built up enough for the fabric to run along. This is the least desirable way becasue I hate adhesive tape any where near my machines, but many people use this method, and a little rubbing alcohol will usually remove the adhesive residue. :-D
Old 10-30-2010, 06:04 AM

I have a 1/4 inch foot with guides for all my machines. You should be able to find one for yours. I have also moved my needle over to the right and used a regular foot by using the edge of the foot.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:38 AM

I have selective sight,I read scant 1/4 as 1/4. I use a foot and make all my seams the same. I have been quilting for many many years of my 78 and have no trouble with my quilts.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:38 PM

I struggle with "scant" also. My best results were when I measured with a ruler and taped a credit card down as a guide. Well that works until you have to do half-square triangles, then the guide gets in the way. Eventually, I just used my 1/4" foot as is. I'm sure it's not "scant", but as long as every seam is sewn the same way, there is no problem with matching seams and I am way happier with the results. If I were doing a block swap (which I generally don't do) maybe I would go back to "scant". I'm a much happier sewer and my blocks are more accurate just forgetting about the "scant".
Old 10-25-2012, 10:39 AM

Createforless.com has the best price for Qtools Corner Ct 60 Ruler. Tool to line up a scant 1/4". Also, Marci Baker has a demo for Qtools to clarify. [h=1][/h]
Old 10-25-2012, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Nolee View Post
I don't ever use the "scant" because I don't know the purpose of it. I have always used the 1/4" foot on everything with no problems. What IS the purpose of "scant" and who has such perfect eyesight that they don't wander a thread or two over or under on seams on every quilt anyway?
I agree!!! What IS the reason for scant? If all my seams are done on the same machine with the needle in the same position then all my pieces will fit together nicely. My verson for "scant" and yours may be different!
Old 10-25-2012, 11:00 AM

I use a regular sewing foot and move the needle to measure 1/4". The reason that I use this foot is that it is wider and will grab/hold the fabric better. Less slipping and easier to sew.