Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Novice needs help! >
  • Novice needs help!

• Novice needs help!

Old 10-28-2012, 07:11 AM

Why back it at all? I would treat it as a rag quilt and use it without a batt or back. You would have to be certain that your seams were solid, that's all.
    Old 10-28-2012, 09:54 AM

my denim quilts don't have batting and I used fleece for the back and I'm STILL told they're too heavy
    Old 10-28-2012, 12:09 PM

A nice heavy quilt will feel great in England, and your son will love it! I like your quilting ideas, and for me, I am not a fan of tied quilts, especially as they do not wash as well in my experience. This board is a great place for assistance and for ideas. Welcome. I was lucky enough to live in Suffolk for three years with my sewing machine under my bedroom window so I could watch my children play. Those were good years and I miss everything but the cold feet!!!!!

Christine
    Old 10-28-2012, 03:48 PM

Most of the ladies I know that have made a denim quilt , do not use batting, some might use flannel in center and a cotton fabric for backing. Most tie their quilts instead of quilting. I agree with everyone else, the way you have it, it will be too heavy. Looks nice.
    Old 10-28-2012, 04:07 PM

Hi Ely,

If it was me doing it, I would tie it, about every 4". It is going to be very heavy, and sewing through that, and batting, and the backing is going to make it even heavier. Tying it or making bar tacks on the machine will keep it together, but not add to the weight. Just my two cents... I would also back it in flannel, or cotton, not denim.
    Old 10-28-2012, 06:36 PM

i made a similar quilt back in the 70's and when i didn't know it would be difficult. i left out batting and tied the quilt instead of trying to sew through everything. my best friend "stole it" and reports it is still going strong and both she and her grown children all love it!!
    Old 10-28-2012, 06:47 PM

You know it sounds like your using what you have, which is what I would do as well. I think I would consider tying it as well. Machine quilting could be really hard on your sewing machine. My sisters sewing machine was never the same after she sewed a canvas tipi on it. Just thought I'd let you know. If you tie itusea surgeons knot like others have suggested.
    By the way......welcome to the quilting board!
    Old 10-28-2012, 07:01 PM

I made a denim quilt this summer, oh my... it was heavy, I used warm and natural for batting, with quilting fabric for backing, using the Turning twenty pattern. using complimentary and contrasting colors in my fabric choices did give it some pop factor. I used Perle cotton to tie, I could not imagine machine quilting a two-sided denim quilt, Personally, I was so glad to get that one done, it was so hot this summer and to have a denim quilt on my lap... Any way I vote for a non-denim backing, and tie, my fingers were so sore, o' well, any pain or discomfort associated with the making of this quilt was a labor of love, ....I gave birth to a quilt??? Congrats on joining us here in QB'ville. we are the best
    Old 10-29-2012, 09:48 AM

Most people omit the batting and use a light weight backing and tie it with yarn.It is a very difficult thing to quilt.
    Old 10-29-2012, 06:30 PM

If you are using denim for both the top and bottom, I would forgo the batting. When I made my denim quilt, I used regular cotton on the back and it still ways a ton. Have you thought about tying it instead of quilting?