Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who? What? Where? When? How? >

Who? What? Where? When? How?

Who? What? Where? When? How?

Old 10-31-2012, 12:27 PM

Who taught you to sew? My home economics teacher - 7th then 10th grade.
What frustrated you the most about your sewing machine? My first machine was a my mom's, a Brother, and it was a good machine. However, when stretch fabrics came along I kept getting skipped stitches so I wound up with a new machine that was WONDERFUL ... an Elna with cams which was a top of the line back in the early 70's ... cost me I think it was about $700.
What would make it easier to learn to sew? Well, back then it was pretty much read the directions ... now we have the internet and the possibilities are endless!
What did you do to conquer the sewing machine? First machine I purchased ... too user classes and then lots of other classes offered (garment making back then).
What kept you going? I loved being able to make things for other people as gifts ... still do!
Where did you keep your sewing machine? Case or Cabinet? Mom's cabinet. My first one, portable in spare bedroom.
When did you conquer the sewing machine? +/- 1970? OUCH!
How did you ever learn to quilt? Took my machine in for service and got invited to a meet the teacher event ... I haven't stopped since!
Did you use a straight stitch or zig zag sewing machine to learn to sew? zig zag
Were you a child or an adult when you learned to quilt? teenager
Old 10-31-2012, 02:40 PM

Who taught you to sew? My 8th grade Home Ec. teacher. My mother knitted & crocheted - used her Paff to "mend".
What frustrated you the most about your sewing machine? If the tension got out of balance
What would make it easier to learn to sew? I have always enjoyed sewing - some of the newer sewing machines take perserverence to accomplish the wonderful perks they offer the sewer!
What did you do to conquer the sewing machine? I kept using it - and when that "light bulb" came on, there was no stopping me!!
What kept you going? The enjoyment I receive from making a "one of a kind"
Where did you keep your sewing machine? Case or Cabinet? case
When did you conquer the sewing machine? Right after I bought my first machine - Necchi, next was a Bernina and now a Baby Lock (still have my Bernina - it's an old work horse) but the Baby Lock is my "Lexus"
How did you ever learn to quilt? Self-taught with a Georgia Bonesteel book.
Did you use a straight stitch or zig zag sewing machine to learn to sew? The high school Singer allowed us to do both methods.
Were you a child or an adult when you learned to quilt? I was an adult ;-)
Old 10-31-2012, 05:31 PM

What fun to read all the responses to this thread!! Hope I'm not too late to join in!! This brings such sweet memories... Momma was a wonderful seamstress for me and my two sisters... she made almost ALL of our clothes and they were beautiful. I had no interest in sewing (or any kind of domestication) then, but she insisted I learn, so off to Home-Ec I went in the 9th grade. I was too stubborn to stay with it, but I learned so much and kept sewing at home with Momma's Singer. I don't know what model, but I remember her excitement when Daddy bought a new machine. She later discovered Bernina's and a new Bernina 830 Record was my college graduation gift in 1975. I've sewn a bunch of Halloween costumes, Holiday dresses and cute childrens clothes for our DD and DS... only after she was gone did I discover the joy of quilting and that was with a friend whose mother also sewed and quilted. Momma was just getting into quilting when she got sick. I don't remember struggling with any aspects of the machine, but I can still hear Momma saying, "Don't TOUCH that tension!!!!!" It brings a smile to my face!!! I learned to quilt the old-fashioned way at first... templates, cutting each piece, hand piecing... then discovered a wonderful LQS and took a class and, while I cherish the hand-piecing ability, I love the faster rotary cutting and machine piecing. Have recently begun hand quilting which I also love. What joy... what a blessing...
Old 10-31-2012, 07:18 PM

My mom sent me to a sewing class for girls sponsored by the Home Demonstration club she was in (in rural, coastal VA). i was about 10, I think. She continued teaching me and taught me the basics of sewing. I made skirts, slacks, blouses, etc. I learned to sew on her old Singer that had been converted to electric--straight stitches only!

when I got married, I bought a low-end machine that would do zig zags and blind hem stitches. I think it cost $100 dollars. I made clothes for my daughter and myself, and eventuallt the motor burned up while i was sewing, and my mom said it was because I was sewing on Sunday.

today, many years later, i am 56, and my almost 34 year old daughter and I have been learning to quilt for about a year. I've made 3 king- sized quilts if you count the one I took to the long-arm lady this afternoon, and a few baby gifts... 4 maybe.

i have a Babylock Encore, and I love it! Also a Bernina Deco embroidery machine. I've also recently bought a Singer Featherweight that was born in 1952--it's older than I am! My daughter has a low-endy Brother that has several decorative stitches and sews a beautiful seam. It was her birthday gift last year, and I wasn't about to make a huge investment in a machine to sit around and collect dust.

i found the 1/4-inch foot with the large guide very frustrating. I think it's either due to the curve of the sewing surface of the or the placement of the openings for the feed dogs. The fabric doesnt ride under it as it should, but I bought a new foot last week and it has made a world of difference.

the most rewarding thing? Sewi g with my daughter. I knew she was hooked when she came by the house one night and pulled fabric swatches out of her pocket to show me what she had bought.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Who taught you to sew?
What frustrated you the most about your sewing machine?
What would make it easier to learn to sew?
What did you do to conquer the sewing machine?
What kept you going?
Where did you keep your sewing machine? Case or Cabinet?
When did you conquer the sewing machine?
How did you ever learn to quilt?
Did you use a straight stitch or zig zag sewing machine to learn to sew?
Were you a child or an adult when you learned to quilt?
My Mother ( with no patience) and the my Home Ec teacher (little time/attention to give). Neither were good learning experiences.
I never did anything good enough. Crooked, too wide seams, thread tangling, etc. If I had been an adult, I would have walked away and never looked back.
Tension!!!! Automatic tension adjustment would have been great. My machine now has that.
Someone who could have worked with a child.
Finally realizing it's only a machine that was built by humans. It never judges me when I make a mistake or something turns out ugly.
Maybe, just determination to finish what I began learning.
My first one was a portable Singer and kept it mostly in the closet with it's menacing wheels and parts!!
About 3 months ago at a sewing retreat. it has taken me many years to realize it wasn't the machine all along. It was the teachers that started me on life-long journey to win over my their ineptness... it wasn't me as a child.
A baby quilt was given to me at my 1st shower for my DD in 1961 and I kinda copied it.
Could only use a straight stitch. Don't remember being taught about a zig-zag.
I made my DD a baby quilt out of 2 x 2 sq. of all the flannel scraps I had used to make sacques, dressing gowns, night shirts for her. I made a template, cut all the squares, sewed them and hand-tied it. I still have it. It is 47 years old and somewhat worn. I never really thought of it as a quilt. I only thought they went on big beds not babies!! Duhhhh!!

Last edited by quiltjoey; 10-31-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:01 AM

I learned to sew at 13 years old by my Step Mother who was more my mother than the real one. I also took sewing in Jr. high. I made my clothes on her Singer. I got married at 16 and my Dad gave me a Kenmore. I made all my families clothes.We Rodeod so I made all my husband and sons western clothes and suits on that machine. When my daughter was born I got a new Singer then upgraded to a Viking. I have 4 machines now and a serger. I keep them all busy quilting now. I just took a class on Craftsy.com to learn my Serger better and have made several things on it since. See some of my items I've made on Twitter @MyQuiltedFrenzy. Happy quilting.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:20 AM

Who taught you to sew? I sat next to my mom while she was sewing and watched everything she did from the time I was a child. I made my first dress at age 12, following the dress pattern directions.
What frustrated you the most about your sewing machine? I've used several machines over the years without any major problems.
What would make it easier to learn to sew? Perhaps some simple classes at the beginning, but it is fun learning on your own!
What did you do to conquer the sewing machine? Not a problem there...I simply tell the machine I am the boss!
What kept you going? Persistence.
Where did you keep your sewing machine? Case or Cabinet? Cabinet.
When did you conquer the sewing machine? A LONG time ago, lol.
How did you ever learn to quilt? Self taught at first...no quilters at all in the family, and I finally took my class at the age of 58 and I am still going strong...love it. Stopped making clothes so I can have fun quilting...wonderful colors and prints to enjoy...
Did you use a straight stitch or zig zag sewing machine to learn to sew? Both.
Were you a child or an adult when you learned to quilt? I made my first quilt when I was about 15 (still have it, and it probably would be considered as an antique, ha). The next quilt top was when I was in my 30s. After my first class at the age of 58, I sure am making up for lost time and having a ball!
Old 11-01-2012, 04:28 AM

I learned at my mother's feet, I sat on the floor and made doll clothes (no Barbie in the 40s) with the scraps. My mother could and did sew everything, so therefore, so have I. I remember in 9th grade sewing class we were to make a skirt with a waistband and zipper in it. I chose a blue plaid wool. My plaids matched perfectly, and I got in trouble because I didn't pin, hand baste, then sew in the zipper. I just put the zipper in perfectly the first time. I had to bring a signed note in from my mother attesting that I had no help on the skirt. I later became the classroom helper.

I don't ever remember being frustrated by a sewing machine. I still have the Singer that was my mother's. All my machines sit on countertops in my sewing studio in the basement, except the treadle in the living room.

I have never taken a sewing class since high school, have made several wedding gowns, on down to baby layettes. I currently am in love with quilting, something that my dear departed neighbor got me into about 5 years ago. I am currently trying to challenge myself in between my charity quilting. I get more pleasure out of gifting the unfortunate, than making beautiful quilts to put in a show. I feel I was given a "gift" in my ability to sew and create with thread and fabric, and it is my duty to pass that "gift" on to others.

I haven't answered all your questions, because I can't remember them all. I currently have 4 computerized sewing machines, and all are used on a regular basis; also have a treadle, several Singers from the 1930s and 40s, and a hand crank Singer. I also have 2 sergers, a blind hemmer, and a monumental stash. I love machine embroidery. I hate hand sewing because when I was young, my job was to make the hand made buttonholes and hem the skirts in everything my mother made for me. If it can be done by machine, I will not do it by hand.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:15 AM

My mom taught me to sew hems on dishtowels, then I took a sewing class in high school. Never quilted / pieced til I was retired. I pretty taught myself by trial and error. I bought books , have taken a couple of classes but after I learned,( too late ). I learned to sew on a treadle sewing machine. In 1964 I bought my 1st sewing machine, a Singer Golden Touch & Sew. I pretty much conquered the machine by reading the manual and again thru trial and error. I don't give up easily. I search for answers. I love to quilt, mostly the putting together, not the quilting as much. I keep my sewing machine on top of my sewing cabinet, covered when not in use. I conquered my machine by learning how to clean it, take it apart from the bottom and get rid of all the crude. Saves me money . If I fail, I try again.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:28 AM

I learned how to sew when I was a little girl by watching my Mother sew.
I can't say that too much frustrates me about my current sewing machines. I'm happy with them all.
One on one classes or even watching on videos would have made it much easier years ago to learn to sew.
To conquer my sewing machines I just had to study the instruction manual or watch the dvd that came with them and practice.
What kept me going is the desire to be creative and I love fabric so that was my motivation.
My machine was kept on the dining room table while I was working on projects. I didn't have a cabinet.
I am self taught when it comes to quilting. In the late 1970's I bought a baby quilt kit and subscribed to Quilter's Newsletter and went from there!
I used a machiine that did a few different stitches. It was a Singer and I had it for 20 yrs. It was a great machine.
I learned when I was 24 how to quilt.

Last edited by nygal; 11-01-2012 at 05:39 AM.