Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • nine patch squares help >
  • nine patch squares help

• nine patch squares help

Old 11-01-2012, 12:45 AM

Default nine patch squares help

I recently saw on the previous flyer at Joanns,a picture of a nine patch bag I wanted the same pattern for a quilt, It had the middle outside squares had small squares sewn on the diagional then flipped up to form a star. I bought the pattern and didn't realize until I had fussy cut the 5 inch squares that it called for 1/2 seams. I want to use 1/4 inch seams. My question is what size should the diagional squares be. I hope some one can help, not sure I have explained it right. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. thanks
    Old 11-01-2012, 04:24 AM
    Power Poster

Unless someone already has the pattern, or you tell us what size the other squares are, we can't help...
    They are probably using 1/2 seams to add extra strength to a bag. Depending on what you put in it, a purse could put more stress on the seams.
    Old 11-01-2012, 04:29 AM

I haven't got a clue. But, seems like it would just be easier to use 1/2 inch seams if that is what the directions call for. I think it would make for a sturdier purse just like paperprincess said. Good luck!!! Be sure to post when finished.
    Old 11-01-2012, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
    I haven't got a clue. But, seems like it would just be easier to use 1/2 inch seams if that is what the directions call for. I think it would make for a sturdier purse just like paperprincess said. Good luck!!! Be sure to post when finished.
    Okay, I went back and reread this and put on my thinking cap. since you are going to make a quilt with this pattern, I wouldn't think that you would have to alter anything if you were going to use 1/4 inch seams. It will just be a little bigger. As far as the diagonal, you will be sewing across the center of it anyway so you shouldn't have to worry. Let us know how it turns out. Sometimes, we can over think a problem.