Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt >

Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt

Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt

Old 11-02-2012, 05:19 AM

Would love to see a picture of you finished quilt 'Orca Bay'. I did that one but have yet to quilt it. I can't seem to see a pattern to quilt. My only other comment is WHY do it during the holidays when I am so busy already.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:20 AM

I'm seriously considering making it...
Old 11-02-2012, 06:04 AM
Power Poster

Be sure and save the pattern. It will be pulled off line after a few months and only available in her book after that. I have all her free patterns and use to be free patterns printed out and stored in a binder. She is very generous with her knowledge and patterns. One blog poster asked her about the Orca Bay pattern and she said it was only in her book now but the poster could find someone that saved it while it was free and get it that way. Her books are wonderful so you won't regret buying one.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:42 AM

Anyone have opinions on scrappy quilts made from a small number of fabrics? I found 4 each, of the 3 main colours and I'm wondering if that will be enough, or I should just toss in the towel and go completely non-scrappy. Will only 4 variations in each colour family make the quilt look odd? I know, you don't know what the final quilt looks like - but if you do a lot of scrappy quilts, maybe someone has an opinion?
Old 11-02-2012, 08:47 AM

I always print & save her mysteries. I am one of those people who has to see color placement before I can jump in to a project, especially if I'm not going to follow her color choices. I haven't done any of them yet, but I have them all saved on my computer!
Old 11-02-2012, 10:29 AM

I picked up the paint chips as Lowe's and cannot believe what a help they are in choosing fabrics. I loved one gray I found, but it was really off from the paint color. Also some of the aqua's I had were the wrong shade when I got home from picking up the paint chips.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:50 AM

i am doing it but am dissapointed that it is not going to be as detailed as orca bay i finished that quilt right on time
for me it was so much fun never have done scrappy before
Old 11-02-2012, 02:33 PM

Yes susan... - I enjoyed doing both RRCB and Orca Bay. It took me an extra month to finish piecing and putting each of them together! But I enjoyed every minute of it! My RRCB is quilted and on my bed, but Orca Bay is still in its bin waiting to be quilted. I'm sure that Easy Street will be just as much fun, can't wait!

Old 11-02-2012, 05:35 PM

I have never participated in a Mystery before but I am going to try this one. I believe I have most of the fabric already and I have the rulers. I am a BIG fan of Bonnie Hunter! Love her scrappiness.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:44 PM

I've never done a mystery quilt. I usually like to know what I am aiming for. I'll make an exception for this one since it is Bonnie's. She is one of my favorite quilters.