Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilting - assembly line style or as you go? >
  • Quilting - assembly line style or as you go?

• Quilting - assembly line style or as you go?

Old 10-25-2012, 05:17 AM
    Power Poster

There is no method to my quilting madness. It is whatever works at that time
    Old 10-25-2012, 05:39 AM

I am beginning 8 handbag/totes for a bride and 7 bridesmaids. I will do assembly line style. I have made one out of my fabric to be my sample and worked out any bugs before cutting into the fabric the bride gave me. By doing the assembly line style work, this will save me from changing feet, stitch size, and remembering any changes I made from the pattern. Kinda of fun to see everything lined up on the cutting table.
    Old 10-25-2012, 06:37 AM

I like to finish one before starting another. Knowing how I am .... left unfinished for awhile ... well, that's the way it would stay, I'm sure!!! (just ask me HOW MANY knitting projects I have unfinished, because I started something else!!) lol

jody
    Old 10-25-2012, 06:45 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Myself: I prefer to cut em all up and assembly line sew them together, especially column quilts.
    Old 10-25-2012, 01:58 PM

I have been making tops for my family. After I get them all made I will have them quilted.
    Old 10-25-2012, 02:26 PM

I usually make quilts just for myself. I at this moment have three quilts ready to quilt but I can't quilt them myself because I have MS and it is hard for me to do. So I have to save the money to get them quilted. If I make a quilt for someone else they buy the fabric and pay to have it quilted. I will make small projects as gifts like wall hangings that I can quilt myself.
    Old 10-27-2012, 03:53 AM

I make the quilt, sandwich it and quilt it right away, before starting the next one. I don't want to put it off and then lose it or get overwhelmed with a large stack to do. I like making each one unique, so try not to do the same thing over and over with my quilting. If I did a stack of them, I would be more apt to do that.
    Old 11-03-2012, 08:56 PM

I have one in the quilt frames (I hand quilt) and one on the design board. Am thinking about the next one, but won't start it until I finish quilting and binding the one in the frame and the one on the design board goes into the frames. I work full time, so have to consider the limited time I have.
    Old 11-03-2012, 09:14 PM

I usually have multiple projects going, but I prioritize them according to when I have to have them done. Just finished a baby quilt (needs bound), and I'm half finished with a Secret Santa project on another board. I have a queen quilt top that needs to be marked and put on the frame. There's a bargello half done on one side of my design wall and a graduation top for my oldest grandaughter all cut out and ready to be put together. There's a "me" top folded up and ready to be quilted when I finally find some time! It's all sure a lot of fun! Love it!!
    Old 11-03-2012, 09:39 PM
    QM
    Power Poster

I go both ways. I currently have a stack of about 5-10 flimsies. When I have a priority for something, I work it straight thru. I quilt on my home machine. In the past I have made a great many queen and king quilts. The last year, my shoulder has been giving me heck, so I have stopped quilting twin and above. I passed 3 charity twins on to a guild sister to quilt for me on the guild's LA. (I am too disabled to use it.) I am doing more and more QAYG these days. I get bored with a single project, so I tend to trade off between them.