Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
For those of you with multiple sewing machines.... >

For those of you with multiple sewing machines....

For those of you with multiple sewing machines....

Old 11-04-2012, 04:56 AM

I have always found my New Home/Janome machines to be the quiet machines. When I took them to classes there was a marked difference with the other machines. I have a Bernina and several old Singers that have the metal gears/cogs and find that they make more noise when they need oiling.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:18 AM

I have a Singer Futura 150 which is an embroidery/sewing machine and a Juki F400. I like the Singer but I absolutely love my Juki. It truly feels like it's sewing threw butter and it is so quiet even at high speed. I got them both at different times from HSN and the 4 or 5 easy payments made it possible for me to get a better machine than I would normally be able to afford any other way. I also got a Singer 5 thread serger because I make a lot of purses and bags. I will be starting my first quilt for a new baby great nephew using my Juki. It is a quilt/sewing machine. Best thing is to go to a sewing or quilting center and try out the ones you may like. Hope all this helps. Good Luck.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:31 AM

I'm a flight attendant and I travel with a Brother quilting machine I bought from walmart. It's not only light weight..ten lbs ..but very quiet..I sew in my hotel room sometimes till four am
Old 11-04-2012, 05:42 AM

I have a Brother HS-2000 and it is very quiet until it starts needing a cleanout. I had another Brother that was much louder. I use the HS-2000 primarily because I could use it at 2 in the morning when my light sleeping DH was sleeping just 15 ft away in our motorhome. Of course I don't believe in sewing at full throttle because it's too hard on the parts in the sewing machine & I want to have this one for a very long time. I usually go about mid-speed and that's fast enough for me.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:46 AM

My SIL was visiting for a week. She used my 301A and I used my New Home 372L. I could hardly hear the 301A when she was using it and she said my New Home was loud, but I find it very quiet. At any rate both are quieter than the new machines used by my fellow guild members, they always sound like they are ready for "blast off".
Old 11-04-2012, 05:51 AM

I do have two machines, and yes, one is quieter than the other. One is faster than the other too - depends on what I'm doing, the choice of the machine for that project. I do have my favorite, but it's the noisier of the two...lol
Old 11-04-2012, 08:06 AM

My Elnasuper (2 tone blue) is my very quilt. Have to love the old Elnas.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:17 AM

I "legally" have 4 machines, the Kenmore Computerized model (Janome wannabe?) is the best for a steady hum. Table base makes a difference! My Husky-Viking Sapphire 835 surprised me with the amount of noise it makes, but I can still listen to my "sewing" music over it. The "craft" machine (belongs to my daughter) makes a large amount of noise, but there is no speed control and it's being reserved for scrapbooking tasks! The 1940's Singer (not a lightweight) made a moderate amount of noise, but the motor is out, so it's very quiet right now! I used to have a Brother and a White model, both fairly large amount of mechanical part noise, especially when I used the cam-embroidery feature! Still wish I'd nabbed my Great-Grandmother's Singer, it was originally a treadle, then GGF retro-fit a motor on it and she sewed everything on that baby! No memory of amount of sound, I just remember all the LOVE involved!
Old 11-04-2012, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by decky View Post
I have two Bernina's, three Singer featherweights, a Janome and a Janome serger that are all very quiet. But that's because I don't wear my hearing aids when I'm sewing!!!!

Pat in MN
LOL, I love it!!
Old 11-04-2012, 11:09 AM

Some of the noise depends on what the machine is sitting on. A machine on a card table will sound different than one in a cabinet or on a table. (sounding boards)