Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Newbie Confusion >

Newbie Confusion

Newbie Confusion

Old 11-03-2012, 08:49 AM

I would listen to what other say that have more experience than you. If you are learning a specific method there will always be more than one way to do it. Some techniques might work better than others. I for one do a lot of PP. I have tried different ways over the years and quickly found I do not like picking out the paper on my blocks. Usually it was 1 hour per block. That's a lot of time, especially when you have more than a few blocks, which I do. I have discovered the freezer paper method, where you do not sew thru the paper. Each sewing line is folded over before any sewing happens. I also use strips of fabric cut the width needed for each section. The extra is cut off after it's sewn to the block. This prevents cutting a piece the wrong size (which many people do and then are turned off w/ PP all together). Place your #1 piece on the wrong side of your strip, with the seam line between #1 & #2 sections 1/4" in from the right edge of your strip, iron in place. Put the #2 strip underneath, so right sides together, hold in place and bring to sewing machine. Fold back the paper on your fold line and stitch right next to the fold, w/ a length 2 stitch. Keep paper folded back and press seam line, fabric side up. Flip paper open and press fabric onto freezer paper. Fold back paper on next seam line and trim at 1/4", creating the new seam allowance. An Add-A-Quarter ruler is very helpful here. Place next fabric strip under and sew next to the folded over pattern line, press seams twice and repeat. When block is all pieced you carefully pull the freezer paper off. You can reuse the freezer paper 6-8 times before the shiny side no longer sticks to your fabric. This is the only way I will PP now. No pins, no picking off paper - it's awesome. There are YouTube videos of this method. You can also chain piece w/ this method if you have multiple patterns printed on your freezer paper and multiple strips of fabric. You can buy freezer paper in pkgs. ready to go thru your printer, no need to iron fabric to the page, just insert one page at a time. I make a lot of quilts with sharp pointed triangles and this is the method that works best for me.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:57 AM

There is usually more than one way to accomplish one thing. Some ways work better than others for some and not others. I do a lot of PP and will only use the freezer paper method now. It works the best for me and takes the least amount of time with the same result of sharp points on my triangles.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:01 AM

Watch the tutorials on YouTube, check books out of the library, buy a few if you want, take beginner's quilting classes, ask the quilters at your local quilt shop, if you can, attend one of the big quilt shows where you will meet so many people willing to discuss what works for them and you can listen to lectures and take classes. Yes, you will get contradicting information from time to time, but remember, there must be 2,000 recipes for chocolate cake, but they all turn out to be chocolate cake. Choose the recipe you like best. The same goes for the techniques you use to quilt. Try a few different ones and choose the ones you like best.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:42 AM

Yes, please take classes and listen to what you're told. Too often I hear this "quilt police" stuff - just because someone tells you how to do something correctly, does not necessarily mean they're wrong. When you learn to do different ways of creating your quilts , you can then decide what way YOU like to do it best.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:32 PM

Buy a copy of Quilter's Academy, Vol 1 - Freshman Year by Harriet Hargrave & Carrie Hargrave ISBN # 978 1 57120 594 You can get it very reasonably priced at Amazon.com Start on page 1, follow the instructions (which are very easy to understand) and I promise you will become an expert quilter with skills in all aspects of making quilts. It is an awesome course. Very well written and very easy to follow. You will LOVE this book and what it will teach.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:38 PM

I have ways of doing things that I prefer and probably won't change. Several of my quilty friends do things in a totally different manner and neither of us will convince the others to change. BUT, often we show each other some new method and we do add that to our methods.
Since there is no one "right" way, you get to develop and learn your right way..
Experience is the best teacher. If you find something that works for you, just keep doing it!
The art of quilting is a living growing occupation. So let's live and learn!
Old 11-03-2012, 03:17 PM

I agree about the Harriet Hargrave book - very well presented information. If you are a visual learner you could try the free Craftsy Block of the Month. Amy gives pretty good directions and you can go back and watch the video as many times as it takes.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:56 PM

It's kind of like a HOW TO LOAD THE DISHWASHER thing.
Some people say stack the dishes this way. Some say it HAS to be THIS way........Really...
Learn lots of ways and do what you are most comfortable with.
The only time you HAVE to follow rules is if you are entering a juried competition.
The only rule I follow is keep learning, trying, sharing, and loving it!
Old 11-04-2012, 06:47 PM
Power Poster

It's always important to learn the basics first and master those such as measuring, cutting, pressing, sewing precise seams, layering and quilting. Once the basics of these techniques are learned then you can go ahead and try diffrent things and enjoy knowing that mistakes will be made and corrected as you go along.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:16 PM

Good advice from all. Learn the basics and pick a book to help you along the way, like BH&G Complete Book of Quilting. Then, after you have mastered the techniques, you can break the rules or do things to suit you as long as you get the desired results. Many of us do things differently after we have a solid background of techniques we learned in classes or learned from books or videos.