Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt >

Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt

Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt

Old 11-04-2012, 04:43 PM

I am thinking about doing this. It will be my first QAL. I think that I will use the same colors, but switch out the grey for navyish blue. Not a fan of grey, but love the lime/turquoise/purple combination.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by candi View Post
Well ladies..I was on the fence as the last thing I need is another large quilt lol and I really don't have enough scraps lol..but remembering how much fun I had last year ( here is a pic of my finished Orca Bay http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t185501.html ) I decided I'd join and just make a little more than half the blocks for a good throw size quilt..as is with Holidays I'll be late and a smaller quilt is what I need lol. Also, I am using orange and yellow for Bonnie's lime green and turquoise and then purple for Bonnie's purple. Still deciding on her constant grey, I may use blue or green and based on what I do with that, I may go with a white or balck background..have Fabs laid out..just need to live with them for a few days to make my decision.

Looking forward to it..will try to finish what I have going by the 23rd so maybe I can keep up lol.

Are we gonna dedicate a new thread like we did lat year??
Candi, your Orca Bay is spectacular! I don't have mine quilted yet. I finished both of my flimsys by the end of January each year.

I think we should start a new thread for the Quilt too, then people can post their fabrics when they get them together. I'm still collecting my fabrics! I forgot what section Orca Bay was posted in last year, do you remember?
Old 11-05-2012, 10:39 AM

I'll be doing Easy Street, Orca Bay was my first mystery quilt, and I enjoyed working on it and looking forward to the next clue to be posted! I just printed the fabric info - now need to get going through my stash! I've been away from my quilting for a few months now since I've purchased a charming new (1965 built) home, and have been "piecing it back together".
Old 11-05-2012, 01:45 PM

I have made every one of Bonnies mysteries. I joined a short while after Carolina Crossroads finished up. I loved it and did it. And from then on I was hooked. I passed on Old Tobacco road, (too linear for my taste) but when I saw the borders on, I had to do it. It became a favorite. A few years ago Bonnie put me in charge of the Quiltville swap group were we swap out strips and blocks. I've made two quilts (Chunky Churndash and Boxy Stars) from the swapped blocks and I've done Triple Irish Chain and Scrappy Trip Around the World from her freebie list (Triple Irish Chain is off her list and in her book now). I've also done Jamestown Landing, I have all the blocks for Blue Ridge Beauty ready to go (I had just finished Jamestown Landing which is also blue/neutrals and I decided to give blue a rest), I'm working on Ocean Waves with 3,000 hst's, and I have several from her books I'm working on - Fair and Square has a few blocks to see if I like it, (having a brain fart - Bonnies brown/blue gorgeous quilt whose name escapes me!). I love how Bonnie has pushed me. I just never doubted myself, I jumped in and love it.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:59 PM

I've done RRCB and am going to do Easy Street. My RRCB is beautiful and I had enough string blocks left over to piece the back and include some of the leftover triangles, as well. Every time I look at my quilt, I can't believe I made that thing!! I you just follow Bonnie's instructions and work slowly and deliberately you'll get there. I made the mistake of not starting Orca Bay along with the group and before you know it, I just felt too far behind to start it. So, I'll be tracking week by week this time. If you want a real sense of accomplishment and something done before you know it, you should think about joining in on this mystery quilt!
Old 11-05-2012, 06:50 PM

I would love to get a copy of the Orca Bay pattern if anyone is willing to share (it was mentioned that Bonnie is okay with this kind of sharing as long as it isn't copied from her published book). It looks fantastic. I am working on an Omigosh quilt and the monotony does wear on you something fierce so it may have to wait a while.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria View Post
I would love to get a copy of the Orca Bay pattern if anyone is willing to share (it was mentioned that Bonnie is okay with this kind of sharing as long as it isn't copied from her published book). It looks fantastic. I am working on an Omigosh quilt and the monotony does wear on you something fierce so it may have to wait a while.
Angelina - Bonnie has taken Orca Bay (and RRCB) off her website because they are in her new book "String Fling". Easy Street instructions will be on her website until next June, then she is taking it off as well, and it will be in her new book. Be sure to download all the patterns for Easy Street each week, because come June they will be gone!
Old 11-05-2012, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by JeanieG View Post

I think we should start a new thread for the Quilt too, then people can post their fabrics when they get them together. I'm still collecting my fabrics! I forgot what section Orca Bay was posted in last year, do you remember?
Great idea. I'm anxious to see what fabrics everyone is putting together. I'm not really fond of purple so don't have a lot of it in my stash. But I'm trying to get out of my comfort zone and do something different. Still thinking on it...
Old 11-05-2012, 09:08 PM

Thanks, I couldn't find the directions and now I printed them. I really enjoyed her visit at our guild. She is a woman after my own heart. Love to use up the scraps.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:01 AM

I started with a fat quarter bundle I bought earlier this year - Collection for a Cause Friendship. Reds, browns, aqua (or is it a light teal?). I've got lots of neutrals as I buy half yard cuts of those whenever I see ones that I like; Bonnie has taught me to look at "neutrals" differently! Not sure what my constant will be, but I'm thinking a dark gold color. That will have to be purchased as I don't generally buy cuts that large. I do have huge cuts - 10 yards - that I've bought on sale, but those are for backings so I don't want to chop them up. Plus they are generally prints that I don't think would work for the constant in this case.