Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long arm question >

Long arm question

Long arm question

Old 11-01-2012, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by kimg View Post
Dee,
Are you saying that if I do large quilts, I will want to keep the frame set up for large quilts? I was hoping to be able to do small things also.
No -- if it's set at the widest width, you can do any size quilt you want up to that size. If you think you can adjust it down for most of your quilts, to the smallest width, and then easily make it wider for 1 big quilt a year (as an example) then you are mistaken. Once a quilt frame is set up, you'll want to leave it that width. When I first got one, I thought I could set it up in a guest room to do small quilts and if I wanted to do a large quilt, I could move it to the living room and do the big quilt, then move it back. NOPE --- that doesn't work.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:22 AM

Keeping in mind, getting good at quilting on a long arm is going to take you just as long as getting good at it on your domestic size. In both cases it takes TONS of practice, plus with the long arm you have a learning curve just getting it running happily. I don't think that's phrased right, but they aren't walk up to and drive equipment.

Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 11-01-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
Keeping in mind, getting good at quilting on a long arm is going to take you just as long as getting good at it on your domestic size. In both cases it takes TONS of practice, plus with the long arm you have a learning curve just getting it running happily. I don't think that's phrased right, but they aren't walk up to and drive equipment.

Which is why a good dealer is worth their weight in gold! I am so glad I didn't take this leap buying a used machine with no dealer support to set it up in my home then show me how to properly load a quilt, change tension, thread it, use the laser light and all the other stuff.

However, I was able to hit the ground running with mine. I tried and tried FMQ on my Bernina and it was abysmally awful at it. My first time at a LA was infinitiely more successful. However, I draw a lot and I found drawing translated to LAing very nicely. Yes it still took a lot of practice and still does, I am continually refining my skills and learning but to me FMQ on LA is way, way easier than FMQ on DSM.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:36 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I would talk to someone in person who lives by you, like the person who quilts your quilts. I would ask them what they like about their machine and don't like about their machine. I would ask them if they could do it over again, what would they purchase instead of what they bought. I would ask them what is the most important features of their long arm machines to them? What do they like the best? What do they not use? Find out from them everything you can. They will love to tell you their opinion.

That is what I would do first. Then I would go from there. I would ask her if she thinks I should buy a used one since I'm only using it for myself or if I should buy new so I get the extra help from a dealer. I would pick her brain. She will be delighted that you think enough of her to ask her opinion and she will be completely honest with you.

Dealers want you to buy their machines. People selling their used machines want you to buy their used machine. Your long arm quilter is the one who has nothing to gain by talking to you. She'll even show you how her machine works and what she likes and doesn't like about it. Call her and make an appointment to talk to her for an hour. Please!
Old 11-01-2012, 03:27 PM

I think I have decided that I will buy new so that I have dealer support. I do understand there is a learning curve. I have heard from more than one person that it is easier than FMQ on a home machine. If it isn't some easier, then I am doomed to fail. I am not making this decision without doing lots of research, trying some machines out, etc. Thanks for everyone's input. I appreciate every post and still invite any other input.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:42 AM

I bought a used Nolting 24 inch and love it. I would say go with the largest throat size you can afford, and a stitch regulator. When it comes to quilting, I started out doing pantographs across the entire quilt. You can't mess up, and it gives you practice getting comfortable with your quilter. Pantos run around 18 bucks. Also consider repair costs. The Nolting people fully support you repairing your own machine. They give great customer service and will stay on the phone all day with you if necessary. I have only had one minor repair that I did myself. Parts are also cheap compared to some others.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:46 AM

Sorry-forgot to add that theres a Yahoo group that does Nolting machines. Its for owners and others who are interested in Noltings. You might want to check them out and see what they are saying.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:19 PM

I was considering a Nolting, but ended up ordering a Bailey. I was able to get their "top of the line" package for half the price of the Nolting set up. I am only going to be doing my own quilting except maybe an occasional quilt for a friend or family member. I did lots of research and it seems that Bailey has a good name, and they have good support. I would love to hear from those of you who have Bailey machines. I think his first name will be BILL......since he's a Bailey!
Old 11-07-2012, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
Check the APQS website http//:www.apqs.com They have smaller models as well as larger. They are made in Carroll, Iowa. Their support is fantastic so are the people on their forum. You can take classes from them and they even offer a class on how to keep your machine maintained on your own. They often have used machines available.
I have APQS machine and agree the support is top notch. Buy a better quality used machine instead of a lesser quality new one. Put a wanted post up on their site and ask lots of questions.