Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Books and the Size of the Quilts in Them >

Quilting Books and the Size of the Quilts in Them

Quilting Books and the Size of the Quilts in Them

Old 11-04-2012, 08:23 AM

I would also like for the author of these patterns to show which direction to press the the seams,both in the pattern and the magazines.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:48 AM

I love all the "idea" books I buy! And I do use them for ideas. I hardly ever pay any attention to the authors well planned out size and fabric amounts, because I KNOW how I am. I will draw the pattern out on graph paper, make the pattern, cut and then realize that the 5 yards of backing is no where near enough! Good thing I don't mind piecing my backings too.

I am making a scrappy windmill quilt, for Daughter and SIL, their request was that it had to be Red, White and Blue and King size. Their finished quilt will be somewhere near the SUPER KING size of 122"x122" (see what I mean about making my own sizes?) I lay out the pattern, then decided that making it in 4 inch squares was silly, decided on 6 inch base squares, tada, final measurement without border, 120". But the pattern is worth it, it is rw&b and I'm happy with the result! And my Fabric Stash was greatly enlarged with pretty fabrics.

Does any one else notice, you go shopping for one color set, that's when you spot the yellow/gold/orange fabric you just have to have for the next project? And I found a few purple tones along with greens!

Ultimately, I won't stop buying pattern "idea" books and I will continue making them my own size. For those of you nervous about being creative, remember, while you may see a mistake in your work, EVERYONE else will just see the beauty! Relax and enjoy!
Old 11-04-2012, 09:32 AM

I am definitely in with the rest of you in wishing patterns and books would include directions and fabric requirements for different sizes of quilts!
Old 11-04-2012, 11:12 AM

Why are you buying a book that only has lap sizes in the first place? It should be pretty clear on a look through the book what the sizes of the quilts are. In the past, books included quilts of varying different sizes and, only rarely, included instructions on how to enlarge or change size. I'm not beating you up, but if I'm paying $30 retail for a book, I would peruse it a little more carefully, so that I know exactly what I am buying.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:12 PM

I have self taught myself how to enlarge a quilt or otherwise tweak it to fit my design in my head. But I agree with you that it would be nice to have different sizes and fabric requirements listed.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:34 PM

I have said this same thing so many times...and not bought the book. Like you said..you can do the math to make them larger, but if it is that simple..why dont' they do that math for the book? Just one page of additions per size of quilt..how hard is that!??! They would sure sell more books if they did that. I have looked and liked patterns, but like you said... I have no use for a lap size quilt...really, nothing smaller than a twin size. But without the measurements...the pattern don't do me much good. I am intermediate quilter....and I do create and design on my own, but...that is cause I have to. THe books don't tell diff size needs...so I don't buy the book, but go home and create my own and "do the math". Author just lost a sale and I am sure I am not alone in this!
Old 11-04-2012, 11:01 PM

i agree with you !!! i was looking thru a magazine i purchased and most of the patterns were wall , laptop size , amother thing i am getting into and dont know alot about is paper piecing patterns , i have found a pattern i like but it is for paper pieceing , is there a "regular" way to make the same papeer pieced block ?
Old 11-04-2012, 11:45 PM
Power Poster

I very rarely buy a book "sight unseen"...generally get it from our library service, then, if I really need it then I'll purchase through Amazon. As "reneaunoel" mentioned...I use the books for "ideas". Very rarely do I stick to the pattern 100%. I don't mind the math, and I figure the mental gymnastics of dusting off those math skills just might help me keep my marbles a little longer.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:05 PM

Here is the easy answer for enlarging or reducing the block size. Take it to a copy story. They have a sheet that gives the amount to enlarge or decrease a copied design. Have used this many times.

And thank you for your comments about sizing quilt patterns, as a quilt book author I'll keep it in mind.
SandyQuilter
Old 11-05-2012, 07:18 PM

I hear you! May I recommend books by Donna Poster. She has a diagram and directions for all quilt sizes and they are clearly illustrated and explained. Check her books out. I ordered 3 of hers from Amazon.